none
Department Head needs to be able to update multiple plans RRS feed

• Question

• I have a department head who needs to be able to update multiple project plans.  These plans will be authored by him and updated by him. The plans contain assignments to named resources in his team. In the fullness of time, he will publish assignments out to team members for updating but for now he is doing this himself.   

How can he update all his plans in one place without having to open up all the plans individually?

Am I correct in saying that the My Tasks page will limit what he sees ie not all tasks will be shown there if eg he wants to enrich part of his plan which is several months away?

If he were to open all his plans within a master plan so he can edit in project professional in one go, what happens if those plans are already sub-projects within external PM master plans?

thanks in advance.

Monday, April 22, 2013 8:43 PM

Answers

• Stev_Scott42 --

The only way the PM can do what he wants to do is to open the projects in a temporary master project.  What the PM can do is to navigate to the Project Center page, using the Control key the PM must select the gray row header for each project he wants to update, then click the Open pick list button in the Ribbon.  On the Open pick list, he must select the In Project Professional for Editing item.  The system will automatically create a temporary master project consisting of each project as a subproject.

In the temporary master project, the PM should expand each project, beginning from the BOTTOM and working his way to the top.  From there he can update all of the project simultaneously.  Whe he is ready to save the subprojects, the PM can close the master project and click the No button when prompted to save the temporary master project.  At this point, the system will ask him if he wants to save each of the subprojects.  In this dialog, he should click the Select All button.

I do not believe this project will conflict with any of his projects already inserted as part of a master project belonging to someone else.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Stev Scott42 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stev Scott42 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stev Scott42 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:40 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:12 AM
  • Yes, you will have to do that individually, or use the powershell script, provided by Paul Mather.

http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/publish-specified-projects-in-projectserver-using-powershell-msproject-ps2010-sp2010/

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:06 PM

All replies

• Stev_Scott42 --

The only way the PM can do what he wants to do is to open the projects in a temporary master project.  What the PM can do is to navigate to the Project Center page, using the Control key the PM must select the gray row header for each project he wants to update, then click the Open pick list button in the Ribbon.  On the Open pick list, he must select the In Project Professional for Editing item.  The system will automatically create a temporary master project consisting of each project as a subproject.

In the temporary master project, the PM should expand each project, beginning from the BOTTOM and working his way to the top.  From there he can update all of the project simultaneously.  Whe he is ready to save the subprojects, the PM can close the master project and click the No button when prompted to save the temporary master project.  At this point, the system will ask him if he wants to save each of the subprojects.  In this dialog, he should click the Select All button.

I do not believe this project will conflict with any of his projects already inserted as part of a master project belonging to someone else.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Stev Scott42 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:04 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stev Scott42 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:13 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:12 AM
  • thanks Dale, very helpful advice,

When I close the temporary master project, I don't seem to be able to publish the sub-projects en masse, would I have to do that individually?

regards

Steve

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:04 AM
  • Yes, you will have to do that individually, or use the powershell script, provided by Paul Mather.

http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/publish-specified-projects-in-projectserver-using-powershell-msproject-ps2010-sp2010/

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:06 PM
  • thank you Prasanna
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:41 PM