none
Migration speed slow? RRS feed

• Question

• We just completed a new SAN/Host installation alongside our older ESXi 6.0 installation. The new installation has Windows 2016 and is using Hyper-V. I managed to get SCVMM setup and working for all of this, HA and live migrations work perfectly with failover cluster. We can also do offline migration of VMs from ESXi to Hyper-V.

The problem I'm experiencing is the speed of the conversion/migration. After completing one VM and testing with another several times, I've come up with the conversion processing 1.5GB per minute. We've tried to force it via our 10Gbe network but there was no change. The network speeds on the NIC processing the data seems to be averaging around 200Mbps-300Mbps and peaking at 400Mbps. I'm not sure if these are normal speeds for this process, or if I have a bottleneck somewhere.

The old SAN has a mix of 7.2k and 10k NLSAS while the new SAN will be writing directly to SSD (we've seen 250%+ improvements on workloads moved to the new architecture).

So has anyone done some conversions? What sort of speeds are you seeing?

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I've come up with the conversion processing 1.5GB per minute. We've tried to force it via our 10Gbe network but there was no change.

>>The problem I'm experiencing is the speed of the conversion/migration.

The slow speed migration also  happends on hyper-v hosts ?

This migration is shared nothing live migration ,right ?

Have you checked if there is  "high utilization" of one CPU core during LM ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:38 AM
  • This is a conversion from ESXi 6.0 to Hyper-V 2016. We're doing a SAN migration.

Live migrations work from Hyper-V to Hyper-V since it's already setup with a failover cluster.

The slow part is converting an offline ESXi 6.0 VM to Hyper-V 2016.

Monday, November 28, 2016 10:08 PM