none
Have Bitlocker Recovery ID, need to find Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have the Recovery ID for BitLocker, but I do not have the Recovery key. Is there a way to look up the Key with the Recovery ID?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Could you please explain a bit for the Recovery ID of the BitLocker? Do you mean the first 8 characters of the password? And are we in a domain environment? 

If we are in a domain environment, we could use Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Password Viewer to find the recovery password through AD server. Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Password Viewer is an optional feature that's included with the Remote Server Administration Toolkit (RSAT), which you can install by using the Add Roles and Features option in the Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 Server Manager or from the Programs and Features option in Control Panel.

And if we are in a workgroup, and the recovery key is missing, please take a look at the below article for all the possible BitLocker recovery methods:

How Do You Want to Recover BitLocker-Protected Drives?

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you please explain a bit for the Recovery ID of the BitLocker? Do you mean the first 8 characters of the password? And are we in a domain environment? 

If we are in a domain environment, we could use Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Password Viewer to find the recovery password through AD server. Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Recovery Password Viewer is an optional feature that's included with the Remote Server Administration Toolkit (RSAT), which you can install by using the Add Roles and Features option in the Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 Server Manager or from the Programs and Features option in Control Panel.

And if we are in a workgroup, and the recovery key is missing, please take a look at the below article for all the possible BitLocker recovery methods:

How Do You Want to Recover BitLocker-Protected Drives?

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:35 AM
  • I have the same issue as Stephanie.  Your blurb is way off. On the Bitlocker recorevy screen it says my recovery key id: CAE28260-DF57-4318-9FBC-6F9........... (the dots represent another 9 random digits and letters)

Question is what do I do with this in order to get my recovery key?  That was never setup in the 1st place.

• Proposed as answer by parthbhaa Wednesday, July 18, 2018 4:18 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Hello UUUUAAAAUAUA

I am hoping that you have already solved this issue. I am facing the very same issue. How did you solve this frankly ridiculous issue?

Friday, August 11, 2017 8:44 AM
  • "Helping" isn't what Microsoft does.

Gardoglee

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 8:24 PM
  • Answer:  FAIL.  Exactly right UUUUAAAAUAUA [thanks for standing up for the truth.]

My bit locker screen says my recovery key is 8A061655 and that I need to go to the same or similar irrelevant help (ie to presumably to use that recovery key).  Please explain what a recovery key is, why it is mentioned on the "recovery" screen, and what to do if any and all the advice about getting a functional Surface Tablet again fails.  [Full disclosure this is my son's Surface Tablet and even trying to reset to factory settings fails.  Be happy to send the whole thing to you MS, at your expense to receive a full refund and apology -- this Surface Tablet is a useless paperweight as it now stands.  (703-307-2605)  My ID is a "clean" start outlook id as suggested by outlook to get rid of bizarre login/account consolidation "solutions" with my main Microsoft ID.  I have no idea what my son's login ID so don't bother to ask -- he bought as Apple Ipad as a replacement and is hard at work at finals.]  [[You may delete any thing you (dis)agree should (not) be disclosed or advertised due to inaccuracies, irrelevance or tone.]] 

[Further Editorial COMMENTS:

Apparently the "recovery" screen gives wildly varying numbers or obsolete useless advice.  Suggest you fix and clarify the advice Microsoft.  How about replying right here or taking down this entire thread.  Just so you don't have to try to guess the date, its April 2018.

This two year old, unanswered post just emaphasizes that Michael Shao and Karen Hu have no clue that your (you Microsoft) bitlocker screen gives a BITLOCKER KEY ID that is part of a recovery process that they are too lazy to research and explain here (or apparently anywhere within public Microsoft -- Google it).   They point to and concur upon a "answer" that is non-sense for anyone with this specifically and precisely specified problem.  I expect I'll get an answer that refers me to the dictionary definition of answer.]

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:02 PM