Importing ADFS data from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2019 - Failed to read service settings data from the AD FS configuration database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I know this is a big jump in server OS but I think I'm just missing some user permission on the source server. The export command ran fine but the import seems like it can't read the database info. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PS C:\ADFS 2.0 to ADFS 2016 Migration> .\import-federationconfiguration.ps1 -Path "C:\ADFS"

Import Federation Configurations.
    If you choose to import federation configurations, all existing claims provider and relying
    party trusts on the target server will be deleted. Do you want to continue?
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): Y
    Reading configurations from folder 'C:\ADFS'...
    Importing federation services configurations to server 'ADFS'...
    Failed to read service setting data from the AD FS configuration database 'Data
    Source=np:\\.\pipe\microsoft##wid\tsql\query;Initial Catalog=AdfsConfigurationV4;Integrated
    Security=True'. Exception: Exception calling "Fill" with "1" argument(s): "Invalid object
    name 'AdfsConfigurationV3.IdentityServerPolicy.ServiceSettings'."
    For help with AD FS migration, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=294108.
    At C:\ADFS 2.0 to ADFS 2016 Migration\import-federationconfiguration.ps1:300 char:13
    +             throw ("{0}`n{1}" -f $obj, ($_system_translations.MoreHel ...
    +             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (Failed to read ...?LinkId=294108.:String) [
       ], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Failed to read service setting data from the AD FS configurati
       on database 'Data Source=np:\\.\pipe\microsoft##wid\tsql\query;Initial Catalog=AdfsConfi
      gurationV4;Integrated Security=True'. Exception: Exception calling "Fill" with "1" argum
     ent(s): "Invalid object name 'AdfsConfigurationV3.IdentityServerPolicy.ServiceSettings'.
    "
    For help with AD FS migration, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=294108.

PS C:\ADFS 2.0 to ADFS 2016 Migration>

• Edited by MVMSTech44 Monday, September 16, 2019 4:07 PM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 3:03 PM

All replies

• I had the same issue, but was able to solve by the following method.

In the file import-federationconfiguration.ps1 on line 1420, there's a piece that is 

FROM [AdfsConfigurationV3]

I changed V3 to V4, re-ran as an account that has permission for the database, and it worked perfectly.

Good luck.

Thursday, January 9, 2020 7:58 PM