none
Backup user profiles windows server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im using DPM 2010 to backup users profiles (around 300GB)

Im recieving an error that the backup stoopped because it reached the limit for skipped files is more than 100.

I checked what kind of files that DPM is skipped and was no able to take backup for. and all the files were under cookies folder.

Is it possible to make DPM skip to backup the cookies file under each user profile (they are around 300 users)?

Or is there any work around?

LA

Monday, August 2, 2010 8:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• hi

I am assuming you are doing backups using client protection feature of DPM 2010.

In the client protection, you must have chosen to protect 'User Profiles'.  To exclude protection of cookies folder, which generally resides in folder path: %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\cookies\, you can add a rule to exclude for the following path in DPM while modifying the PG:  User Profiles\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\cookies.

In a similar way, you can add any other generic path to your exclusion rules of the PG to avoid backing up of these folders.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by vrmurthy[MSFT] Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:04 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your replay.

Im not using client protection feature in DPM 2010 and im not backup each user computer.

There is a folder in a file server where i redirect a copy of all user profiles to, so we can backup that folder and skip backup each user.

So in that folder there are about 300 users profiles. And of course in these users profiles folders there are cookies folder.

So i need to skip the cookies folder for each user from DPM backup.

Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Hi,

my guess would be that this should be done through powershell.

may be this can help you to get in the right direction

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809067.aspx

regards,

Alex

• Marked as answer by Laith IT Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 12:13 PM
  • Hi LA IDE

The skip-file feature was added since DPM could get an access denied on some files, for example user files. One of the reasons was that the local antivirus on the file-server had put a file in quarantain. Check out your antivirus on the server that the user profiles resides.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:38 PM