none
DPM 2012 SP1 off-site backup with Library. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I need some help with DPM 2012 SP1.

I want to have an off-site backup, and for this purpose we have bought an HP MSL2024 Tape Library. I have created many Protection Groups and every Protection Group Backups up 2-3 virtual servers (in a Hyper-V cluster). So far I am backing up to Disks. When I started having backups to my Library I noticed that every Protection Group that I have uses a single LTO tape. I want to ask a couple of things:

1. Is there any way to use one LTO tape to backup many Protection Groups?
    2. Is there any way to “partition” my Library so that I can use specific LTO tapes for specific Protection Groups jobs?
    3. I want to have an offsite copy of all the Protection Groups. The problem is that if have created a Protection Group that backups up VM1 and VM2 for example, I cannot select VM1 and VM2 for backup on another Protection Group. Is it possible to do it? For example some PowerShell commands?  

What I want to achieve in general is:

1. Use 18-19 LTO tapes for the daily backup (with retention period 4 weeks for example). These tapes will never be removed from the Library.
    2. Use 2-3 LTO tapes for backing up the same VMs every Thursday and remove the 2-3 LTO tapes on Friday for an offsite backup.

How can I create this scenario?

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1) Is there any way to use one LTO tape to backup many Protection Groups?
    A1)  Yes, You need to make a Protection group set and add the PG's to the set that you want to share the same tapes with.

Tape Optimization Setup - Create/Modify Protection Group Set
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628037.aspx
  • Q2) Is there any way to “partition” my Library so that I can use specific LTO tapes for specific Protection Groups jobs?
    A2)  DPM Does not give you control over which "tapes" are used for specific protection groups or jobs. By default, jobs with different retention ranges will not co-locate on the same tapes.
  • Q3) I want to have an offsite copy of all the Protection Groups. The problem is that if have created a Protection Group that backups up VM1 and VM2 for example, I cannot select VM1 and VM2 for backup on another Protection Group. Is it possible to do it? For example some PowerShell commands?  
  • A3)  Once a datasource is protected, it cannot be added to another protection group.  However, you can use tape copies if you want a copy for offsite.
  • What I want to achieve in general is:

1. Use 18-19 LTO tapes for the daily backup (with retention period 4 weeks for example). These tapes will never be removed from the Library.
    2. Use 2-3 LTO tapes for backing up the same VMs every Thursday and remove the 2-3 LTO tapes on Friday for an offsite backup.

You should be able to configure the tape optimization options along with having different retention periods for each goal to achieve that.

Tape Optimization Setup - Advanced Options
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628016.aspx

• Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:42 PM