MOSS 2007; Manage Content & Structure = timeout & authentication request = 401 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having from time to time some issues with an older MOSS 2007 environment. Sometimes browsing to manage Content & Structure ends up in a long thinking process which ends with an authentication request. A Timeout seems to happen. Whatever a user enters... it ends ip in a 401 error.  That does not happen every time, but sometimes. The rest of Sharepoint works well. 

Let me first describe the environment. The environment is fully virtualized. The content db is huge - the approx size is about 1 TB. There is only 1 site collection and quite a huge site structure.

The environment as such

2 WFE
    1 IDX
    1 SQL 2005 Cluster

We use Kerberos for authentication. 

The w3wp processes grow to about 1-2 GB.

• We have identified that when SQL Cluster fails from one node to the other.. this symptom disappears for a while. I have no clue what this  can have to do with the described effects. 
    • An IISRESET on all servers sometimes helps, too.

We cannot identify any errors, but the issue is really annoying. 

Any thoughts?

• Edited by Sven W Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:16 AM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Sven, 

may i know your sharepoint latest update version?

perhaps you can help me to try and let me know the result, if the authentication prompt was shown then it will appear 401, then if you refresh the page, do the issue persist, or not persist?

if i may know, do at your environment, the disable loop back check already being set before?

and please check using the F12 in IE or fiddler to check if there is a component that require the authentication.

and if you have other browser also, does this issue is reproducible in other browser than IE for comparison.

if should the issue persist either way in those browsers, i suppose you may need to capture a crash/hang dump from the W3WP process.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Sven,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,

Daniel Yang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com. 

Daniel Yang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:20 PM
  • Hi Sven, 

may i know your sharepoint latest update version?

perhaps you can help me to try and let me know the result, if the authentication prompt was shown then it will appear 401, then if you refresh the page, do the issue persist, or not persist?

if i may know, do at your environment, the disable loop back check already being set before?

and please check using the F12 in IE or fiddler to check if there is a component that require the authentication.

and if you have other browser also, does this issue is reproducible in other browser than IE for comparison.

if should the issue persist either way in those browsers, i suppose you may need to capture a crash/hang dump from the W3WP process.

Regards,
    Aries
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:46 AM