Moving briefingbooks, Items and Views between servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a problem with moving existing briefing books, views and Items/Sets between servers.

I have server one(with SSAS2005 and PAS 6.3), that is our production server. On this server, end users have created ProClarity objects like views, items, sets that are used in briefing books and views.

On the second server(server two) we have the exact same environment with some minor changes in dimension structures.

My concern is if the items(calculated measures and members) can move to server two and work there with briefing books migrated from server one. We can use the change connection info to move books but I am not sure about the items.

Will the business logic on server one work on server two? Reports will work but what about the items.

Yours Kindly

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 2, 2008 8:20 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Thomas,

For moving items from one PAS database to another there is a 'Migrate Repository' feature in the Analytics Administration Tool > Server Properties > General tab.  With this you have the option to either drop or append to existing tables at the destination database.  You also have the option to migrate all data or only specific data with a feature to validate users and groups against the destination server (recommended for myviews).  I recommend making a backup of your existing destination database and using the database migration feature of PAS.

You can also manually migrate Briefing Books, myviews books, and shared items.  Here are a few links that provide information on how to go about this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927956

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3105504&SiteID=17

The book specific items should migrate with the books and if the structural changes are minor the missing data wizard should be able to correct the items and views.  The shared items do not have associated MDStores data so structural changes may require them to be recreated if they break.  You might try adding the shared items to the specific books then moving those books to see if the missing data wizard can update them, and then copy them back to shared items on the destination server.

Hope this helps,

-Sean

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Hi Thomas.

Here is the rundown on My Items and Page Items.

My Items - These are Calculated Members and Named Sets that are created by users on their individual machines.  They are only accessible to that user, even if a different user logs in on the same machine, they won't be able to see them.  Think Favorites in IE.

Page Items - When a user creates a view in a Briefing Book, they may add one of their My Items into the view and then publish the book out to PAS.  Now, when another user tries to access that view via Web or Desktop Professional, they will not have access to that My Item.  The software however knows the MDX for the My Item and subsequently creates that item in the Page Items folder of the Dimension/Attribute of it's original creation.  This way, public views created by authors with My Items won't become broken.

With that in mind a user can right click on any Page Item in a view and 'Copy To' their own My Items.  It's kind of a round about way of sharing business logic without using Shared Items.  I wouldn't recommend this for everyday use in production, but it's at least one way to do it.

hth

TJ Nelson

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:45 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Thomas,

For moving items from one PAS database to another there is a 'Migrate Repository' feature in the Analytics Administration Tool > Server Properties > General tab.  With this you have the option to either drop or append to existing tables at the destination database.  You also have the option to migrate all data or only specific data with a feature to validate users and groups against the destination server (recommended for myviews).  I recommend making a backup of your existing destination database and using the database migration feature of PAS.

You can also manually migrate Briefing Books, myviews books, and shared items.  Here are a few links that provide information on how to go about this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927956

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3105504&SiteID=17

The book specific items should migrate with the books and if the structural changes are minor the missing data wizard should be able to correct the items and views.  The shared items do not have associated MDStores data so structural changes may require them to be recreated if they break.  You might try adding the shared items to the specific books then moving those books to see if the missing data wizard can update them, and then copy them back to shared items on the destination server.

Hope this helps,

-Sean

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Thank you Shawn. I will read this first thing tomorrow.

I have a second question. What is kept under my items? Is that calculated members/measures that are built in views only? If this is covered in the links above you can ignore this question.

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Tuesday, June 3, 2008 5:03 PM
  • Sean,

I have read the links that you have provided. A final question.

I am not sure about what will decide if a ProClarity member/measure will appear in my items and or page items. Do you have a link or comment about this?

The business aspect of this is that users adds items to reports that have a connection to the windows account that created it. This will create problems with reports not being loaded due to items that can not be found or that the report viewer/user not having access to items with windows account connections.

I am talking about the scenario of published reports to PAS 6.3 .

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Hi Thomas.

Here is the rundown on My Items and Page Items.

My Items - These are Calculated Members and Named Sets that are created by users on their individual machines.  They are only accessible to that user, even if a different user logs in on the same machine, they won't be able to see them.  Think Favorites in IE.

Page Items - When a user creates a view in a Briefing Book, they may add one of their My Items into the view and then publish the book out to PAS.  Now, when another user tries to access that view via Web or Desktop Professional, they will not have access to that My Item.  The software however knows the MDX for the My Item and subsequently creates that item in the Page Items folder of the Dimension/Attribute of it's original creation.  This way, public views created by authors with My Items won't become broken.

With that in mind a user can right click on any Page Item in a view and 'Copy To' their own My Items.  It's kind of a round about way of sharing business logic without using Shared Items.  I wouldn't recommend this for everyday use in production, but it's at least one way to do it.

hth

TJ Nelson

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Thanks TJ.

BR

Thomas Ivarsson

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:15 AM