none
Can I create both hyper-v and a desktop guest(s) on the same physical hardware? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a fairly nice system, quad celeron, 3+ghz, 8gig ram.

I have run Windows 2008 Server -R2 (SP1) on it, as was able to build several virtual systems with it.  With 2k8 server (full install) installed, I could launch the various VM's and bring them up on the same monitor as "remote desktops".

One of the VM installs was a Win7 (SP1) install, pretty much fully tricked out to duplicate the "normal" Win7 system I normally use.  I also installed another Win7 VM, more of a plain-vanilla install.  The object of this exercise was to try to make the system do more than one thing at a time - this way I can (so to speak) have my cake and eat it too.  In other words, if I need (or want) to exzperiment with an operating system, I can build one up on this box, dxeploy it, and then cleanly switch back-and-forth between them as needed.

Unfortunately, Win 7 running on top of a full-blown Win2k8Server install has performance issues.  Especially when working with multimedia and/or audio editing and/or anything else that requires anything close to "real time" performance.

So!  I had the bright idea of wiping the 2k8 install and replacing it with Hyper-V - a much lighter weight hypervisor environment to run my VM's within.

There is, however, one teeny-tiny fly in this ointment:  It appears that - in order to do *anything at all* with the hyper-v server, short of simple command-line tasks, you must remote in from a different machine running Win7 or better.  (Though right now, I have not really found anything "better" than Win7!)

What I would *like* to be able to do is to run the hypervisor on my machine, and then - using the same physical hardware, keyboard, monitor, fancy graphics card, etc. etc. etc. - bring forward the "remote desktop" for the guest machine so that I am using the same physical hardware.  It would also be nice if I could - somehow or other - switch between virtuall machines on-the-fly - so that I can do work, and document it, all at the same time all on the same machine.

Doing these tasks on different machines - the hypervisor and guest systems on machine "A", and the desktop(s) on machine "B", defeats the entire beauty of virtualization in my opionion - that is to *reduce* the number of physical machines needed to perform a task.  If I have to do this on multiple machines, I might as well build up a system with removable drive caddies - which is what I want to get away from.

Any ideas?

Jim

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:38 PM

All replies

• There's really no solution that provides your virtual machines with direct access to the host hardware.  The Windows architecture only allows one driver to access a device.

The closest options you have are Parallels Workstation Extreme, which has very strict requirements and a steep price tag:  http://www.parallels.com/products/extreme/  

And, RemoteFX for Hyper-V: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/rds-remotefx.aspx

" multimedia and/or audio editing and/or anything else that requires anything close to "real time" performance" are not good work-loads for virtualization since they generally require direct access and control of the physical hardware, and you're not going to find a solution that allows both your VM server and your VM to access your fancy video card, etc, etc, etc.

Hyper-V server isn't designed for a local usage solution, but a remote server platform. 

For what you're doing why aren't you looking at VMWare Workstation/Player, Parallels Workstation, Virtual PC, or VirtualBox?  These are designed for local end user use on the same system, instead of a Hyper-V type hypervisor designed for remote access/hosted server solutions.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:39 PM