none
SharePoint online save site as template

Question

• Hi SharePoint experts,

i need your help for taking the SharePoint online site backup as template.

Requirement: One of our customers requested us to take the SharePoint online site cloning which is around 8GB size and including lists, libraries, pictures, lookup fields and subsites.

Workaround: we had tried to take the SharePoint online site backup as ''save as site template" including site content option. However we are keep on receiving one error and it is describing as "the file path is too long ....." . So, we are unable to clone the site.

please help us how to clone the SharePoint online site which is around 8GB.

Many Thanks,

Madhu

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It looks some document and its url exceeding the URL length. To confirm this try to save the document library as template and find the problem creating document.

And also there is size limit (50 MB) for saving the site as template or any list or document library.

If your site contents beyond 50 MB limit, then you have to raise the "Service Request".

Login in to your Office 365 Admin center area,select the "support icon with headphone" and select the "Service "Request"

And you need to select the appropriate category for site template backup and restore like shown in this image.

Murugesa Pandian | MCPD | MCTS | SharePoint 2010 |

• Marked as answer by Madhu Vana Friday, November 25, 2016 9:49 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Madhu,

How long did you set for the File name and Template name when you save the site as template?

Make sure the file name and template name are not too long.

In addition, please create a new site, and try to save the site as template with content, check if this issue occurs.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 9:25 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the email. 

I did not given too long name. Just i have given template name "mynewsite" and checked the box Include content. However i had received the error as "the file path is too long...."

I am able to save the site as template without content. Just, i need the site template with content for site cloning purposes.

Regards,

Madhu

Many thanks, Madhu

Wednesday, November 9, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hi Madhu,

In SharePoint 2013, the default size limit for a site template is 50 MB.

If you are using SharePoint On-premise, you can use the following cmdlet to increase the limit:

stsadm -o setproperty -pn max-template-document-size -pv 524288000

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj938033.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

However, for SharePoint Online, you are not able to run the above cmdlet.

For this issue, I suggest you ask the Office 365 support for help. You can contact them via Admin Center->Support.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

Thanks,

Wendy

Monday, November 21, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi,

It looks some document and its url exceeding the URL length. To confirm this try to save the document library as template and find the problem creating document.

And also there is size limit (50 MB) for saving the site as template or any list or document library.

If your site contents beyond 50 MB limit, then you have to raise the "Service Request".

Login in to your Office 365 Admin center area,select the "support icon with headphone" and select the "Service "Request"

And you need to select the appropriate category for site template backup and restore like shown in this image.

Murugesa Pandian | MCPD | MCTS | SharePoint 2010 |

• Marked as answer by Madhu Vana Friday, November 25, 2016 9:49 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 3:04 PM
  • We have contacted Microsoft and they help us well...

Thank you all,

Regards,

Madhu

Many thanks, Madhu

Friday, November 25, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Can u please share the steps which are given by Microsoft..
    Sunday, August 6, 2017 1:05 PM
  • Hi Madhu,

Can you please let me know to what extent the size of site template were you able to increase using Microsoft Support?

Regards

Agasthya

agasthya

Friday, August 31, 2018 5:55 AM