Test Lab Guide Mini-Module: Homenet Subnet for Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am setting up a lab to test Direct Access in my home VMWARE lab.

I have followed successfully part 1 of this lab 'Test Lab Guide: Windows Server 2012 Base Configuration.

I am now on the second part 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7863.test-lab-guide-mini-module-homenet-subnet-for-windows-server-2012.aspx

It tells us to create a new windows 8 machine and add two network cards to it. One NIC is connected to the previously created 'internet' subnet and one is connected to a new homenet subnet. This is to Nat between both subnets.

The details for the homenet subnet are to be set to

Homenet (192.168.137.0/24) connected to the Internet subnet by a NAT

The instructions do not tell you how to set up the TCP/IP settings for the homenet NIC. I know the network is 192.168.137.0 so I created a network in VMWARE and attached the homenet Nic to it.

What IP address should the homenet NIC have? In the image they show of the network is gives it an ip of 192.168.137.1.

Am I supposed to do this manually? If so what DNS address do I use etc?

Also when I connect the client to homenet network how is this client supposed to receive an IP address? 

When I connect to the homenet subnet I cannot access any resources in the internet subnet so something has gone wrong somewhere.

If this makes any sense at all could anyone help?

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 5:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for your question. 
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:06 AM
  • I believe all the networks are configured to use DHCP. This should have been in part 1. INET1 and DC1 are both DHCP servers.

Are you aware that Direct Access is deprecated? This is an old lab.

Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:42 AM