Join Domain is greyed out RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new PC (out of the box) that has Windows 10 Pro and in setting it up, it upgraded to version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540) when I checked for Updates. 

I changed the computer name, rebooted and it still has the out of box computer name when you right click This PC in Explorer and go to properties and look in the Computer name, domain and workgroup section.  It says the original computer name and in parentheses will change to (new computer name) after restarting this computer. I have rebooted the PC and have also shutdown the PC and it still says it will change once the computer has restarted. 

Also I want to join the PC to our domain and I cannot it is greyed out (going through explorer/right click This PC, properties/change settings/change. the computer name is what I want to change it to in the computer name field and below in the Member of both Domain and Workgroup are greyed out.    I have gone another route to try and join the domain Start/setting/about and Join Domain is supposed to be there according to this forum posting https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64de7893-d0fa-45a2-bef9-48a23eb03dfe/win-10-tp-join-a-domain-greyed-out?forum=WinPreview2014General  and it is not there. 

I get

Organization  Workgroup

(link below that to "connect to work or school)

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 1703

OS Build 15063.540

Product ID  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Processor  Intel (R) Core(TM) i5 CPU  blah blah blah

Installed RAM   8 GB

System Type   64 bit Operating system x64 -based processor

Pen and touch  No pen or touch input .......

nothing about joining the domain as pictured in the link above.

I have no clue to what to do now. 

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robin

The OS is Windows 10 Pro 

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Seems that the name cannot be updated on your computer, let's see following suggestions. We can also manually change the name under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName, then restart to see if the issue can be fixed.

One way to detect whether a Windows system is pending a computer rename operation is to check the registry. If the contents of

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName

and

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName

are not the same, that means the system has a pending rename operation that will complete the next time the system reboots.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by luv2bike2 Monday, August 28, 2017 4:52 AM
    Friday, August 18, 2017 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Seems that the name cannot be updated on your computer, let's see following suggestions. We can also manually change the name under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName, then restart to see if the issue can be fixed.

One way to detect whether a Windows system is pending a computer rename operation is to check the registry. If the contents of

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName

and

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName

are not the same, that means the system has a pending rename operation that will complete the next time the system reboots.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by luv2bike2 Monday, August 28, 2017 4:52 AM
    Friday, August 18, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Thank you for your response Kate Li.   Sorry for the delay in my response.  I have not been in the office since last week. I will be in the office later today and go into the registry and make the change for the Computer name.   

What about the issue where I cannot join the computer to the domain?  To join the domain is grayed out.

Thanks again

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Please run WinVER to make sure the OS edition. 

In addition, we need to check if the services named Workstation or Network connection are running properly. Make sure the network location is configure to Public instead of Private. 

We can also reset Network card to check this issue: 

CMD running as administrator: 

netcfg -d

Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:40 AM
  • I will do as you suggested.  I could not do it yesterday as other issues came up.  I will let you know what the outcome is.  Thanks so much for your assistance.
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:58 PM
  • That's ok, just let me know once you have done.

Friday, August 25, 2017 9:28 AM
  • thank you so much Kate Li.

I was able to perform the steps to change the computer name, rebooted and the name changed.  Once that was done, I was able to join the domain.  

Thanks again.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:32 PM
  • Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

Please mark the helpful post as answer to help other community members find the helpful information quickly. You can also share your own solution here and mark it as answer, and we can learn from each other.

Monday, August 28, 2017 2:55 AM