none
NAS device for DPM Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my existing Server Hard Disk free space is low and physical Disk slots also over.

as a solution can i use NAS device with DPM. if it is support is there any recommending device ?

please advise me.

Regards, COMDINI

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only non-removable block level devices are supported for storage pool disks, so basically only physical disks you can see in disk management (excluding the disk that has the o.s. installed).  These can be local DASD (Scsi, SAS, SATA), or Fiber attached SAN LUN, or iSCSI attached disk.

If your goal is to gain space back into the DPM Storage pool, then you can try to shrink recovery point volumes.

Please download the shrink-dispart.zip from this location: http://1drv.ms/1vICq9l

It contains a DPM Powershell script that will automatically shink RP volumes that are larger than necessary.  This is an automated way of doing the same operation that the SHRINK option does in the DPM Gui.

When ran it will prompt you to choose one of the three options.  R will only report the volumes that are candidates for shrinking.  S will allow to shrink a RP volume or skip it.   A shrinks all RP volumes that is can.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes

You will need to review the application event log with the source DEFRAG to investigate any shrink failures.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 6, 2014 11:09 PM