English & Chinese RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I use  reporting Service to design the reports.
    but I need to keep two versions one is English, another is Chinese.
    for example, if the users choice the "English version", the report header will display with English, otherwise the report will display with Chinese.

However, I don't want to keep English and Chinese version Separately

So, How to display English or Chinese header of report in same report?

thank you

Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:09 PM

Answers

• If you have a lot of places to use language specific text, it might be a good idea to keep them in two different columns of a table. Depending on the languange selected and the key, a string is retrieved from the corresponding column.  It could also be wrapped in a custom assembly with English and Chinese resources.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

You need to specify the language with expression dynamically.

1.      Press the Shift button, and then select all the rows and textboxes. In properties pane, set the language expression to be: =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", "Chinese (People's Republic of China)","English (United States)")

If the report contains the Chinese characters, you can write the expression for the textbox like this: =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", "Chiness characters","English words") or =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", Fields!ChinessField.Value, Fields!EnglishField.Value)

Please let me know if this helps.

Raymond

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

You can pass the version in Reports parameters and you can hide/show the label accordingly.

So when user has selected English version, that label should be visible and Chinese label will be invisible.

Let me know if it helps you in any way.

Thanks,

Tejas Shah http://tejasnshah.wordpress.com/
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:15 PM
  • If you have a lot of places to use language specific text, it might be a good idea to keep them in two different columns of a table. Depending on the languange selected and the key, a string is retrieved from the corresponding column.  It could also be wrapped in a custom assembly with English and Chinese resources.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

You need to specify the language with expression dynamically.

1.      Press the Shift button, and then select all the rows and textboxes. In properties pane, set the language expression to be: =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", "Chinese (People's Republic of China)","English (United States)")

If the report contains the Chinese characters, you can write the expression for the textbox like this: =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", "Chiness characters","English words") or =iif(Parameters!language.Value = "Chinese", Fields!ChinessField.Value, Fields!EnglishField.Value)

Please let me know if this helps.

Raymond

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 3:05 AM