Serious fault with my vista home premium build 6000 and USB controllers RRS feed

• Question

• USB function works fine,

if i dont use safely remove hardware

If i choose to safely remove hardware using the icon in the taskbar,

windows stops the device and says its safe to remove.

Once the device is removed and plugged back in,

Vista cant read the device, and with my 500gb external hard disk

evertime i plug it back in, explorer freezes, and wants to restart if i click on my computer, etc,

if i have my computer open, it freezes, but as soon as i turn off the hardware or unplug it, explorer responds.

I have now lost countless amouts of music, films, programs, university coursework etc. not good,

and not good if someone else has the same problem.

If anyone can tell me how to recover it i would be very aprecciative.

Tried to unistall usb hub controllers and usb registry entries, as soon as i unistall a hub controller,

it reinstalls itself, i cant change permissions to delete the registry values either.

The bug not only renders the usb mass storage devices useless on this computer, but also the devices wont work on other computer and operating systems.

I lost the data on my usb key the same wa, explorer doesnt freeze with it though, if i open it it says size 0bytes, and if i try to format it, it cannot format and says it has an unknown capacity.

Anyone know how to change registered capacities of devices, prefferably not using explorer, device manager, etc, so i can recover my data hopefully?

thanks.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 5:18 AM