locked
Question regarding Connect to Outlook 2007 from Doc Lib SP2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello,

    I have an offline document access issue I am curious if anyone has any ideas on.  Let me know if this makes sense or if you need more detail. 

     

    When you connect a document library to Outlook it stores files as part of the offline process in your OST file.  When you try to access that file using the Outlook API it then “moves” that file to your SharePoint Drafts folder.  At that time typically it stores the file in the root of the drafts folder.  If a file of that name already exists in the drafts it will create a nested hierarchy based upon the original source location.  Typically this would look something like central.alchoa.com>sites>SSG>filename.extension.  If the user were to check out a document before they went offline, Outlook would then sync with the library and the original “source” location would be tagged to the file that is now available via the OST.  This is to ensure the correct instance of the file if then sync’d back to the original document library when the user comes back online. 

    Somehow the Outlook version of the file is getting tagged with the “source” location of the server name instead of the name of the extended web application (in this case sandbox.alchoa.org).  This is causing for multiple instances of the file to be stored in the SharePoint Drafts location.  When the user checks the file into SharePoint using the web browser(in this case the file tagged with sandbox.alchoa.org) it is uploading the incorrect instance that wasn’t updated using Outlook while offline. 

    Does anyone have any links or thoughts on this functionality and or how I can get past this?

    Thank you for your comments.

    Sincerely,

    Tim

    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:44 PM Question regarding removed from Title. Not a problem description.
    • Edited by SPA-TMF Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:36 AM clarification
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:02 PM

Answers

  • What I discovered to be the answer was that if I modified the first Alternate Access Mapping entity to match the second entity, it basically removes the existing second entity and leaves the modified one.  Like so:

    http://sandbox.company.org                                Default                                    http://sandbox.company.org

    Outlook no longer loses it's connection to the originally modified file.  The inclusion of the servername as the default  zone was causing confusion on the part of Outlook in knowing just where the file was modified. 

    I hope this helps someone else.

    Sincerely,

    Tim

    • Marked as answer by SPA-TMF Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:40 AM

All replies

  • As always, if you are asking about an Office product and a SharePoint product and how they interact we need to know both which version of the Office product (in this case Outlook) and which version of SharePoint.

     

    Moderator pre-2010 SP forums


    SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Indeed. 

    This issue deals with Outlook 2007 and SharePoint 2007.

    What I have been able to discover is that I believe that it may be related to the Web Application Alternate Access Mappings.

    There are 2 urls based on the same address:

    nyxxxp01:82 - The original address

    sandbox.companyname.org - The extended address

    The Alternate Access Mappings are setup like so:

    What I was thinking is that I need to switch and Zones so that the extended web app address is the one set for default.

    Can anyone give me some indication as to what would be the consequence of doing this?

    Sincerely,

    Tim

    • Edited by SPA-TMF Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:10 PM modified picture size
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:07 PM
  • What I discovered to be the answer was that if I modified the first Alternate Access Mapping entity to match the second entity, it basically removes the existing second entity and leaves the modified one.  Like so:

    http://sandbox.company.org                                Default                                    http://sandbox.company.org

    Outlook no longer loses it's connection to the originally modified file.  The inclusion of the servername as the default  zone was causing confusion on the part of Outlook in knowing just where the file was modified. 

    I hope this helps someone else.

    Sincerely,

    Tim

    • Marked as answer by SPA-TMF Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 12:40 AM