DFSr replication between branch location and Corporate office and staging data on corporate office RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have a scenario that includes data I must migrate to DFSr. I have a branch office with about 150GB of user data moving to a Windows 2003R2 Server. I will enable DFSr Replication to back this data up to my corporate office. But instead of performing the entire initial sync which would take several nights of replication, I want to take the same copy of the data, however it is older, that I have and place it on the corporate DFSr server. This way DFSr does not need to resend all data, just the more recent data and this should drastically cut down on the amount of time it will take to perform an initial sync.

So what will DFSr do when it try's an Initial Sync and discovers the same data on the destination server. There are only two hosts in this replication group, the branch office and the corporate office and I always have it configured one way. meaning only sync Branch ==> Corporate. This is how we do backups.

Has anyone done this with stale user data and does this work or does it confuse DFSr? Also, if this is possible do I have to perform any type of additional configuration to allow this to work smothly.

Thank You

Thursday, February 10, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• This article should answered the question:

DFSR Replicated Folders

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb540026(v=vs.85).aspx

Note that copying the same file without the knowledge of DFSR (such as using xcopy) to its members prior to starting DFSR on the non-primary member (as is done for seeding) will result in the version on the upstream partner overwriting the version on the non-primary member. If the file hashes are identical, the file is not downloaded

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• This article should answered the question:

DFSR Replicated Folders

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb540026(v=vs.85).aspx

Note that copying the same file without the knowledge of DFSR (such as using xcopy) to its members prior to starting DFSR on the non-primary member (as is done for seeding) will result in the version on the upstream partner overwriting the version on the non-primary member. If the file hashes are identical, the file is not downloaded

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Ned,

I wanted to swing back around and provide you my feed back. I've completed the Pre-Seeding that we discussed and it worked well. I ended up scraping the idea of using the replicated Novell file data which we had at our coporate facility and ended up shipping a USB drive, using NTBAckup to backup the data, shipping the drive back to corporate and then restoring using NTbackup. Worked like a charm and yes it did take some time to fully replicate, but much less then if we had not pre-seeded. Thanks again.

Friday, April 1, 2011 9:28 PM