IE8/IE9 does not open many links. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with 4GB of ram and over 170GB of free hard drive space.

This problem started about a year ago with IE8. When I click a link that should open another tab, nothing would happen. As long as I was clicking links that would open on the current tab, it worked.

I searched for an answer but found none. So like others have posted, I downloaded IE9. No luck. Same issue. I found here where someone suggested trying No Addons Mode. I tried that also, but still no success.4

One thing I've found is that I can usually right click on the link, click "Copy Shortcut", open a new tab and paste the copied shortcut into the address bar and open it from there.

I'm very frustrated. I've tried Chrome and don't like it. I want my Internet Explorer to work.

Please help!!!!

Thank you.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:11 AM

Answers

• click a link that should open another tab, nothing would happen

Sounds like a popup blocker is in effect, set to block silently.   If it is the default popup blocker you could try using  Ctrl+Alt with a click to try to bypass it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I suggest you also try to reset Internet Explorer settings and see how it works.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:38 AM

All replies

• click a link that should open another tab, nothing would happen

Sounds like a popup blocker is in effect, set to block silently.   If it is the default popup blocker you could try using  Ctrl+Alt with a click to try to bypass it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:29 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I suggest you also try to reset Internet Explorer settings and see how it works.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:38 AM