ImageX - Time estimate switch/script? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been tasked to create a database of WIMs of my department's computers (just make a backup and store them all on the server by owner name). I have looked relatively diligently and I have not found any information about whether or not there is a procedure I can run ahead of the image capture that can estimate how long the capture will take. I know when you utilize imagex /capture that it gives you about how long the capturing process will take, but is there a script I can run on each of the computers, ahead of time, to try to get an estimate of how long each one will take without starting the WIM capture process?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:10 PM

Answers

• hi,

you can estimate max / min time by capturing 2 machines, one heavy users and and one less, that can give you 2 reference points with small percent t of error, you can multiply that by number of computers.

If you want to get further you can map and test 2 hardware models or map HDD speeds.

Regards George www.supportweblog.com
    • Marked as answer by David_Epp Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:41 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:43 AM

All replies

• hi,

you can estimate max / min time by capturing 2 machines, one heavy users and and one less, that can give you 2 reference points with small percent t of error, you can multiply that by number of computers.

If you want to get further you can map and test 2 hardware models or map HDD speeds.

• Marked as answer by David_Epp Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:41 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:43 AM
  • That sounds like a good workaround. I just wanted to put some feelers out and see if anyone had ever heard of a switch or script that could give a time estimate without starting the capture process.
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:15 AM
  • those are the imageX swithes : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749447(WS.10).aspx

unfortunately there is no estimate switch avalible

• Edited by George Fr Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:18 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:17 AM