Adding new IMAP account--Outlook creates duplicate IMAP folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  Whenever I add a new IMAP email account to my Outlook (2013), Outlook creates the account with several folders:  Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Junk E-mail.  The issue is that there are two versions of each of those folders:  one set of those folders likes at the same hierarchical level as my Inbox, and the other set lies within my Inbox (screenshot).  Why is Outlook doing this, and how can I resolve it?  Another wrinkle is that before I add the email account to Outlook, it already has folders entitled Drafts, Sent, Spam, and Trash (screenshot), which also get imported into Outlook.  This I now have three copies of those similarly-named folders.

After I add the account to Outlook, three new folders appear on my email server:  Deleted Items, Junk E-mail, and Sent Items (screenshot).

I know I can delete the folders, but I'm looking for the reason why this is occurring so I can hopefully prevent it in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 27, 2017 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Another wrinkle is that before I add the email account to Outlook, it already has folders entitled Drafts, Sent, Spam, and Trash (screenshot), which also get imported into Outlook.  This I now have three copies of those similarly-named folders.

What do you mean there already has folder before added the email account in Outlook? If possible, could you please check the folder settings and provide a screenshot for the mailbox webmail? For example, we can set the IMAP folder in Gmail settings > Labels.

In Outlook application, please try to create a new Outlook profile (not delete the original one) for this IMAP account to confirm if the issue persists:

Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this IMAP account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Restart Outlook, select to use this new profile and check the folder panel.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:58 AM
  • >> What do you mean there already has folder before added the email account in Outlook? If possible, could you please check the folder settings and provide a screenshot for the mailbox webmail?

What I meant to say was that before doing anything with Outlook, the email account already has folders in webmail.

Here are the folders in webmail before adding the account to Outlook.

Here are the folders in webmail after adding the account to Outlook.

Here are the folders in Oultook after adding the account to Outlook.

>> In Outlook application, please try to create a new Outlook profile (not delete the original one) for this IMAP account to confirm if the issue persists:

I am willing to try this, but I would first like to back-up my existing Outlook profile.  Is that possible?  I do not have any backups of the emails in these accounts

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to create the new profile?

Generally, creating a new profile would not cause any problem for the exiting Profile. For the mailbox data backup, we can export mails to the local PST file by clicking File > Open&Export > Import/Export > Export to a file.

Any updates for your new profile, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:33 AM
  • OK thanks very much for the reply.  Sorry for the delay.  I just got around to testing this.  I created a new profile per your suggestions and the folder structure in Outlook is essentially identical to folder structure in my original profile.  Here is a screenshot of the folder structure in the new profile).  As you can see, all of the duplicate folders are still present.  How can I troubleshoot further?

Thanks!

Monday, March 6, 2017 11:32 AM