SteadyState reverts to "remove all changes at restart" after incorrect shutdown (and possibly other events?) RRS feed

• Question

• We have SteadyState installed on a number of laptops and notebooks in a Primary School environment (the machines also go home for family use), set to retain changes temporarily until 2020 (with a script to change the date if a teacher wants to quickly "reset" the computer). We have since learned that if the machines are not turned off "properly" - e.g. Start>Turn Off>Off, SteadyState reverts to "remove all changes at restart" and the machine is reverted to it's "original" state. This seems to happen fairly frequently as the children fail to charge the machines and allow them to run until the battery expires. (There may also be other ways to recreate the issue).

I have read that this is a feature to avoid disk corruption from an incorrect shut down, but am wondering/hoping that there is some way (registry hack?) to avoid this. The parents/children/teachers are unlikely to want to/be able to enforce proper shut down procedures, and I am concerned that older siblings will learn of the issue and deliberately invoke it to "encourage" the removal of SteadyState, which is used to prevent various forms of machine abuse and illegal (P2P) activity. I already have a couple of requests for the program to be removed!
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi LeMarchand, I'd like to inform you that this is a known issue in current verson of Windows SteadyState. Though Windows Disk Protection can help to protect system partition, an interruption like power loss, improperly shut down may reset WDP status or even leads to system crash. We still recommend users to make sure the computer is shut down properly. Also, our development group strives to improve SteadyState and its functions. Thank you for your feedback.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 15, 2009 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:38 AM

All replies

• Hi LeMarchand, I'd like to inform you that this is a known issue in current verson of Windows SteadyState. Though Windows Disk Protection can help to protect system partition, an interruption like power loss, improperly shut down may reset WDP status or even leads to system crash. We still recommend users to make sure the computer is shut down properly. Also, our development group strives to improve SteadyState and its functions. Thank you for your feedback.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Friday, May 15, 2009 8:22 AM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

Whilst it is obviously preferable to shut the machines down correctly, unfortunately only a few pupils, teachers or parents seem capable of grasping the importance of this. It would be good if the development team could bear this problem in mind!
    Monday, May 18, 2009 10:47 AM