suddenly cant add member to distribution list RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly, beginning 2 days ago, I cannot add or remove members from any distribution lists.  The option buttons 'add' and 'X' are greyed out.  Have  tried to do it programatically using Add-DistributionGroupMember -Identity "GroupNameHere" -Member member@company.com

I get an error that says the Group is not a mail-enabled universal group.

This has not been a problem until 2 days ago and no changes have been made to the server.

Any ideas?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

• You may have mail-enabled groups that were migrated from previous versions of Exchange that are not universal groups. There are two types of distribution groups: Mail-enabled universal distribution groups can be used only to distribute messages. Mail-enabled universal security groups can be used to distribute messages as well as to grant access permissions to resources in Active Directory. They are all universal groups.

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:45 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:34 AM

All replies

• I converted the group to universal and it resolved the issue (obviously) but still am not sure why this suddenly became an issue.  any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:27 PM
  • You may have mail-enabled groups that were migrated from previous versions of Exchange that are not universal groups. There are two types of distribution groups: Mail-enabled universal distribution groups can be used only to distribute messages. Mail-enabled universal security groups can be used to distribute messages as well as to grant access permissions to resources in Active Directory. They are all universal groups.

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, December 22, 2011 8:45 AM
    Saturday, December 17, 2011 12:34 AM