Alert When Outlook Rule Has Errors RRS feed

• Question

• A few of our users have Outlook rules for better folder management. Occasionally, the rule errors out and stops working. There's no notice the to user when this happens, so they can go a week or so before noticing that this has occurred, and it messes up the workflow down the line. The error gives no detail; it just says "error" under the "Manage Rules and Alerts" form, and re-creating the rule fixes it...until it breaks again.

Is there some way for Outlook or something to at least alert the user when this happens?

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Knowing all of this, I think it would be better if we could address my question, "Is there some way for Outlook to notify the user when a rule has an error," unless, of course, the answer to that is simply "No."

I am afraid there is no built-in method to notify the user when a rule has an error. Your needs may be related with developer, so you may try to go to Outlook for Developer forum for more information.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by R0w-n Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the version of your Outlook?(File > Office Account > About Outlook). Please make sure you have upgraded your Outlook to the latest version.

What's the type of your account? (POP, IMAP or Exchange, Office365) Have you noticed what specific operations did you do before this problem occurred?

It seems that this is a random issue, which is hard to troubleshoot.

>> The error gives no detail; it just says "error" under the "Manage Rules and Alerts" form

Could you please provide mw with the screenshot of this error? (If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to OneDrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here. )

Then you can follow the suggestions below:

1. There may be something constantly breaking your rules. So first please start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and work for a while and see if the issue continues. You may also try temporarily turning off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone, because some antivirus programs perform email scanning may cause this issue.
    2. To confirm whether this is a client issue or a account issue, please try configuring your account on another computer(Outlook) and see if the issue can be reproduced.(Or configure another account on your Outlook client and test.)
    3. If the issue is related to your Outlook client, it is suggested to recreate your srs file:
      Please go to:
      C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\
      Rename the files Outlook.srs to something else like Outlook.srs.old and restart your Outlook.
    4. If the issue continues, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 8:13 AM
  • I see you are trying to address the underlying issue of the rule breaking, rather than answer my question about alerts for when rules have errors. I'll try to help...

Version: Office 365 16.0.11901.20218, running on Exchange 2010 on prem

I cannot provide a screenshot of the error because 1) the issue is not currently happening and 2) it only happens once every 3 months or so. However, when it occurs, the problems it causes are highly disruptive. The error wasn't much to see, anyway...it just says "Error" next to the rule name in the Rules and Alerts dialog box.

The issue occurred on both a win 7 and a win 10 machine.

The users' profile was recreated to no avail.

---

Knowing all of this, I think it would be better if we could address my question, "Is there some way for Outlook to notify the user when a rule has an error," unless, of course, the answer to that is simply "No."

• Edited by R0w-n Monday, December 9, 2019 2:33 PM
    Monday, December 9, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Knowing all of this, I think it would be better if we could address my question, "Is there some way for Outlook to notify the user when a rule has an error," unless, of course, the answer to that is simply "No."

I am afraid there is no built-in method to notify the user when a rule has an error. Your needs may be related with developer, so you may try to go to Outlook for Developer forum for more information.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

• Marked as answer by R0w-n Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 8:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:37 AM
  • One thing I did find is that Outlook rules can send back a confirmation email when the message has been sent. This would basically alert the user every time the rule WORKED, instead of didn't work. We chose not to do this because it creates a new problem of email clutter...but maybe it will work for someone else.
    Thursday, December 12, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Thanks for your sharing. This may be useful to other users:)

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, December 13, 2019 1:14 AM