SharePoint Navigation and PPS Dashboard Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• I have created navigation in my Moss site to point to PPS dashboards. When I publish my Dashboard from PPS to SharePoint it first deletes the old dashboard and then copies the new one to the dashboards library. The problem is when the dashboard is deleted prior to copying the new one out to the dashboards library SharePoint removes the navigation element pointing to that dashboard. I have tried creating custom xml navigation (lots of issues with menu highlighting and security trimming here I won't go into), modifying write permissions for the unattended PPS account to the dashboards library, redirects, versioning as well as the not redeploying dashboards but doing a first publish and then modifying the dashboards in SharePoint so it doesn't delete the navigation since I never us the "Deploy to SharePoint" "feature". The problem with this last approach is that we are in a 3 enviroment architecture where we need to deploy dev to stage and prod and occasionally need to delete items instead of always importing. Any ideas on a better way to make the navigation stay put on a PPS deployment? Thanks Dan

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:47 AM PPS q - PPS is not part of MOSS (From:SharePoint - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    • Moved by Heidi Tr - MSFT Monday, February 21, 2011 8:46 PM wrong queue (From:Planning)
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:52 PM

Answers

• Hello Dan,

As of right now, there is no good solution out of the box.  It is being looked into.

Regarding versioning . . . you can keep versions of dashboard definitions (ddwx files), and customers should be able to restore those to prior versions. But each time you deploy, the deploy process overwrites the aspx file in the doc lib. To get to a previous version of the dashboard, restore a prior version of the dashboard definition, and then deploy that as a new aspx file.

As far as navigation goes . . . There is a blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2010/04/28/modifying-pps-dashboards-with-sharepoint-web-parts.aspx) that talks about this issue. There’s no good solution out-of-the-box, but there is a workaround.

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Totally understand where you are coming from on this one and went through all of the same issues you are experiencing - Retaining Navigation Links for Dashboard Pages.

Setting up your own pages in SharePoint seems to be the only workaround unless you want to setup some custom navigation with a site map like you have already tried or using some of the controls that do this based off a SharePoint list (but security trimming is a big issue with that setup).  Wish there was a simpler solution.

For deployment you can leverage deployment tools instead of going through the import option if you would rather script this out - http://ppscd.codeplex.com/.

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan English Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:15 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Dan,

As of right now, there is no good solution out of the box.  It is being looked into.

Regarding versioning . . . you can keep versions of dashboard definitions (ddwx files), and customers should be able to restore those to prior versions. But each time you deploy, the deploy process overwrites the aspx file in the doc lib. To get to a previous version of the dashboard, restore a prior version of the dashboard definition, and then deploy that as a new aspx file.

As far as navigation goes . . . There is a blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2010/04/28/modifying-pps-dashboards-with-sharepoint-web-parts.aspx) that talks about this issue. There’s no good solution out-of-the-box, but there is a workaround.

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Totally understand where you are coming from on this one and went through all of the same issues you are experiencing - Retaining Navigation Links for Dashboard Pages.

Setting up your own pages in SharePoint seems to be the only workaround unless you want to setup some custom navigation with a site map like you have already tried or using some of the controls that do this based off a SharePoint list (but security trimming is a big issue with that setup).  Wish there was a simpler solution.

For deployment you can leverage deployment tools instead of going through the import option if you would rather script this out - http://ppscd.codeplex.com/.

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Edited by Dan English Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:15 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:15 PM