none
Microsoft Project 2010: Managers Prefer to give total works for the assigned resources, not works per month! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using MSP2010, Am not a pro!

So, while assigning a work resource to some tasks, I will assume how much that resource involved with each task, by calculating a percentage relative to his  availability in his calendar.

If the tasks will not take longer than a month, this can be done!!!

But assume we are facing this position:

Some resources must be assigned to some tasks with large chucks of work (each takes more than a man month work):

The managers are just telling:

Task A: 1000 man hrs

resource 1 does 300 man hours, resource 2 does 300 man hours, and resource 3 does 400 man hours.

Task B: 800 man hrs

resource 2 does 400 man hrs, resource 4 does 400 man hrs

And so on.

They refuse to give exact man hrs per month. And they are some how right. For complicated projects with many tasks this is time consuming to calculate each assignment per month.

How should we enter these data into MSProject 2010 forms.

Any comments are sincerely appreciated.

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Mahdavi,

Task A: 1000 man hrs - [SS] Assign this 1000 hrs in Work field for Task A

resource 1 does 300 man hours, resource 2 does 300 man hours, and resource 3 does 400 man hours. Open Resource Usage View and in Work Column add 300,300,400 for Resources 1,2 and 3.

Task B: 800 man hrs - [SS] Assign this 800 hrs in Work field for Task B

resource 2 does 400 man hrs, resource 4 does 400 man hrs. Open Resource Usage View and in Work Column add 400,400 for Resources 1 & 2.

Sapna S

• Marked as answer by Ehsan Mahdavi Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:20 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:41 AM
  • No, she means the Work field.  Work and duration are two separate (but related) fields.  Work is the amount of effort expended by resources -- duration is the period of time from the beginning of the task to the end of the task.

You may have a task duration of 1 day -- but there could be 40 hours of total work on the task if I have 5 resources assigned at 8 hours. 

The work field may be added to many views, including the Resource Usage, Task Usage, and Gantt chart views.

Julie

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Mahdavi,

Task A: 1000 man hrs - [SS] Assign this 1000 hrs in Work field for Task A

resource 1 does 300 man hours, resource 2 does 300 man hours, and resource 3 does 400 man hours. Open Resource Usage View and in Work Column add 300,300,400 for Resources 1,2 and 3.

Task B: 800 man hrs - [SS] Assign this 800 hrs in Work field for Task B

resource 2 does 400 man hrs, resource 4 does 400 man hrs. Open Resource Usage View and in Work Column add 400,400 for Resources 1 & 2.

Sapna S

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:41 AM

• Task A: 1000 man hrs - [SS] Assign this 1000 hrs in Work field for Task A

Sapna S

By Work Field do you mean duration filed?

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:48 AM
  • No, she means the Work field.  Work and duration are two separate (but related) fields.  Work is the amount of effort expended by resources -- duration is the period of time from the beginning of the task to the end of the task.

You may have a task duration of 1 day -- but there could be 40 hours of total work on the task if I have 5 resources assigned at 8 hours. 

The work field may be added to many views, including the Resource Usage, Task Usage, and Gantt chart views.

Julie

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Dear Julie and Dear Sapna

As I mentioned in my other posts! am not  a pro

For scheduling purposes in MSP I used to enter the duration field.

As you may know there is no work field in task information window. So it was mandatory for me to estimate a duration.

You 2 friends mentioned something that opens new horizon for me.

I tried to define new tasks with their work needed.

But the tool won't schedule those tasks.

Is there any way that tool uses these values of work field as a base for scheduling?

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:08 AM
  • Yes it does use Work Value for scheduling; please mention the steps you are taking so that I can understand what is getting missed.

Sapna S

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:11 AM
  • I just inserted tasks in a new project which it's start date and status dates are defined.

then I added the work column to Gant chart and then filled the work field for sub tasks.

nothing has happened!

there is no scheduling!

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:15 AM
  • ooo

I want to take my lame question back

I needed to assign some resources for scheduling to begin.

-- regards Ehsan Mahdavi

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Ok, lets define the steps for it :

1) Enter Work hrs, in the Column.

2) Step 1 doesn't update your Duration Field as it doesn't know how this amount of Work got to be handled if Resources are not assigned on the task. So assign resources, this will calculate your duration automatically.

Sapna S

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:23 AM
  • You are spot on.  In order for a work value to drive the schedule, you must have resources assigned :-)
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:48 PM