SfB on-premise vs Office 365 for VC solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I work for a small company and need a suitable video conferencing solution to reduce travel costs for meetings.  This only affects about 5 users and they all have laptops with cameras, which will be ideal for internal conversations, but I'd also like to install a nice Polycom unit in the boardroom for meetings with clients.  We would want to host the meeting and share content such as PowerPoint presentations or Word docs.

Is SfB the way to go?  If so, should I look at building a SfB server on premise or use Office 365 in a hybrid configuration (we already have on-premise AD and Exchange)?  What are the main advantages of each given the above requirements?

What about licenses - do I need a license for the server or just ensure the users have the appropriate CAL?  My users would need to be able to send invitations for 3rd parties to join meetings.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Welsh,

1. After I create a new tenant I just need a single server hosting AADC to synchronise my on-premise AD with Azure AD and my team can log in to SFB Online using their on-premise AD credentials?
    A: Yes.

2. I don't need to host ADFS on premise for this solution?
    A: Yes, you don’t need to host ADFS on premise, ADFS is optional.

3. My team can use Outlook to invite 3rd parties to meetings (no Exchange configuration needed, SFB and Outlook take care of this)?
    A:If you mean SFB meeting, you can invite the 3rd party user to the meeting request, even though they don’t have exchange or SFB account, because when you create skype meeting, it will generate a meeting link, you can give the meeting link to the them, then they can join the meeting as guest.

4. If I include an additional license for a Polycom unit (Skype Room System) in the boardroom other users without an Office 365 license can use this to host meetings with 3rd parties?
    A: For license issues, we suggest you contact the license support of Microsoft.

Hope the reply is helpful to you.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 5, 2018 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ted Curly Monday, March 5, 2018 11:54 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:20 AM

All replies

• Deleted
    Monday, February 26, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Hi welsh,

Agree with Shankar.Paulraj.

You can use SFB online and set up skype room system, but for skype for business online, it has some limitations about enterprise voice, such as SFB online is not supported response group and persistent chat feature.

If you want to had good experience of SFB, you can use SFB on premise, since your company not have too many users, you can try to SFB standard edition, I will share a document about deploying SFB SE server, please refer to
    https://insidemstech.com/2015/06/30/step-by-step-skype-for-business-server-standard-edition-deployment/

For license, you need license for each SFB FE server, other server roles like edge server doesn’t require a server license

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 6:18 AM
  • Thank you both for your replies.  What are the main advantages to using Office 365 over an on-premise solution?  To me it would seem like a lot more effort to federate my AD and Exchange with Office 365 than build a local server.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 4:12 PM
  • Hi welsh,

Thanks for your response.

For SFB online, you can refer to the document below check the part “Benefits of Choosing Skype for Business Online”
    http://www.rtcpedia.com/Blogs/Action?blogId=10049&blogURL=MicrosoftSkypeforBusinessOnlineVsOnPremise

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Thanks Alice.

So, to confirm:

As I already have Office 2016 licenses and Exchange 2016 on premise, I could just purchase enough Office 365 Essentials licenses for the users that need to use Skype for Business (rather than build an FE and an Edge server on-premise)?

If so:

1. After I create a new tenant I just need a single server hosting AADC to synchronise my on-premise AD with Azure AD and my team can log in to SfB Online using their on-premise AD credentials?

2. I don't need to host ADFS on premise for this solution?

3. My team can use Outlook to invite 3rd parties to meetings (no Exchange configuration needed, SfB and Outlook take care of this)?

4. If I include an additional license for a Polycom unit (Skype Room System) in the boardroom other users without an Office 365 license can use this to host meetings with 3rd parties?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, March 3, 2018 3:03 PM
  • Hi Welsh,

1. After I create a new tenant I just need a single server hosting AADC to synchronise my on-premise AD with Azure AD and my team can log in to SFB Online using their on-premise AD credentials?
    A: Yes.

2. I don't need to host ADFS on premise for this solution?
    A: Yes, you don’t need to host ADFS on premise, ADFS is optional.

3. My team can use Outlook to invite 3rd parties to meetings (no Exchange configuration needed, SFB and Outlook take care of this)?
    A:If you mean SFB meeting, you can invite the 3rd party user to the meeting request, even though they don’t have exchange or SFB account, because when you create skype meeting, it will generate a meeting link, you can give the meeting link to the them, then they can join the meeting as guest.

4. If I include an additional license for a Polycom unit (Skype Room System) in the boardroom other users without an Office 365 license can use this to host meetings with 3rd parties?
    A: For license issues, we suggest you contact the license support of Microsoft.

Hope the reply is helpful to you.

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, March 5, 2018 9:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ted Curly Monday, March 5, 2018 11:54 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 8:20 AM
  • Perfect, thanks for your help!
    Monday, March 5, 2018 11:54 AM
  • You are welcome

Best Regards,
    Alice Wang

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 1:54 AM