shadowstorage gone RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive had 47GB of free space, then a little later (within the same day) it had 60GB. Firing up an elevated command prompt I typed in 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' but was told that "No items found that satisfy the query". I also found I had no shadow copies of any of my files. So I decided to recreate the shadowstorage area using 'vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: maxsize=10GB' however this failed with "Error: The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found."

As this looked to be a problem with the system, owing to the sudden disappearance, I ran 'sfc /scannow', but this told me that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Perhaps my memory fails me, but shouldn't there be a Shadow Volume or System Restore service or some such? If there is supposed to be, it's not in my services list.

At this point I am stumped and need help.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:23 PM

Answers

• user="Quitch"]My hard drive had 47GB of free space, then a little later (within the same day) it had 60GB. Firing up an elevated command prompt I typed in 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' but was told that "No items found that satisfy the query". I also found I had no shadow copies of any of my files. So I decided to recreate the shadowstorage area using 'vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: maxsize=10GB' however this failed with "Error: The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found."

Open Windows Explorer and check to make sure that the 'System Volume Information' folder is present on the system drive.

As this looked to be a problem with the system, owing to the sudden disappearance, I ran 'sfc /scannow', but this told me that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Perhaps my memory fails me, but shouldn't there be a Shadow Volume or System Restore service or some such? If there is supposed to be, it's not in my services list.

The service is called 'Volume Shadow Copy' and should be set to either Automatic or Manual.

Make sure that System Restore is also turned on.

In Control Panel, Classic View,  open System and click on 'Advanced System Settings' in the Tasks Pane.

Select the System protection Tab.

In the Availabe Disks section, make sure that the volume where Vista is installed is selected.

Select the Create button at the bottom and try to create a new System Restore point.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:07 PM

All replies

• user="Quitch"]My hard drive had 47GB of free space, then a little later (within the same day) it had 60GB. Firing up an elevated command prompt I typed in 'vssadmin list shadowstorage' but was told that "No items found that satisfy the query". I also found I had no shadow copies of any of my files. So I decided to recreate the shadowstorage area using 'vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=c: /on=c: maxsize=10GB' however this failed with "Error: The specified volume shadow copy storage association was not found."

Open Windows Explorer and check to make sure that the 'System Volume Information' folder is present on the system drive.

The service is called 'Volume Shadow Copy' and should be set to either Automatic or Manual.

Make sure that System Restore is also turned on.

In Control Panel, Classic View,  open System and click on 'Advanced System Settings' in the Tasks Pane.

Select the System protection Tab.

In the Availabe Disks section, make sure that the volume where Vista is installed is selected.

Select the Create button at the bottom and try to create a new System Restore point.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:07 PM
  • Well I just had this same issue on an Exchange 2013 box on Windows Server 2012.  I had to manually re-enable the Shadow Copy Volumes on the properties of the C:\ Drive.  I was having an error on the backup server (System Center Data Protection Manager) that said this keywords:

DPM failed to synchronize changes for Exchange Mailbox Database Mailbox Database 0313776305 on myexchangeserver.com because the snapshot volume did not have sufficient storage space to hold the churn on the protected computer (ID 30115 Details: VssError:Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data.
     (0x8004231F))

On this Window, I just needed to press "Enable", and my issue was solved.

Hope this helps anyone else having this same issue.

Regards,

Jose Angel Rivera

IT Consultant.

Jose Angel Rivera

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:01 PM