SharePoint: Not being able to check-in or check-out files RRS feed

• Question

• We are having issues checking files in and out of SharePoint. 

The first one for attempting to check out documents 

"The document could not be checked out. Click OK to open a read-only copy of the document."

and 

The second message for when you attempt to upload something

"Error

Unable to complete this operation. Please contact your administrator.

Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services."

Which files are the ones you are trying to upload Microsoft Word, Excel? Any particular program? Does one program work and another doesn’t? Mostly Excel but I just tried a word document as well to upload it to the folder and it did not work either.

We have tried multiple folders and everyone seems to be having the same issue with not being able to check in/out documents or upload. 

So I'm unable to access check out and check in as an admin with SharePoint. I'm unsure how to fix this issue with Administrative access.

What can I do to make it so that we all can have check in and check out abilities in SharePoint?

As an admin the people aren't able to access and check out their files the temporary fix was to delete old check in's/out's from months a go I got rid of and deleted two of the ones from January and that temporarily fixed it but now its back to how it was... were no one can check out or in documents.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi

From your description, you got an "Unable to complete this operation. Please contact your administrator" Error when trying to upload a file in SharePoint.

Usually You will see this error when SQL Server is running out of disk space. So take a look at your DB Servers disk space.

Verify that the site collections did not get locked and site quotas are correct.

CA->Application management->Configure quotas and locks->choose the site collection, choose Not Locked:

Check the database and the data file is on unrestricted growth.

Truncated the transaction log as per Truncate and Shrink SharePoint Transaction Logs, Databases

Reference:

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2012/02/unable-to-complete-this-operation.html

Besides, Check the ULS log to determine the exact cause of the error. ULS log is at:      

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:07 AM