Vista Ultimate Upgrade Product key not accepted - Locked Out!...... RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my HP Slimline's Vista Home Edition, in early December, to Vista Ultimate.  Had a very difficult time performing the upgrade and at one point, had to even reconfigure my new computer to out-of-box condition before the Ultimate Upgrade 'took'.  Nonetheless, I managed a 'clean Install' as instructed.

Upon successfully completing the upgrade, I have had several instances since (over the past month and a half) where a pop up balloon appeared requesting that I activate my new software.  Well, I followed the instructions, but the product key on my box has yet to be accepted.  Up until today, upon completing these 'phatom' activations, the program, nevertheless, always opened and I have been using Vista Ultimate without a problem.  Again - until today!

This time, I got a little different, more detailed, activatation request with more options.  Upon entering my product key again as before, an error code kicked up indicating I CANNOT PERFORM A CLEAN INSTALL FROM AN UPGRADE VERSION!  Hello?!  I've been using it since early December just fine!  The big difference with today's activation attempt is that I am now unable to get any further than the logon screen.  Instead, I am menu-directed to a point requesting that I purchase another product key online from Microsoft!?  Also, I am unable to retrieve the PID number - whatever that is!  I paid $259 for THIS upgrade and it has never been activated!  A new, valid product key would be the answer, but I sure don't want to have to pay for it!

I am typing this message on my home computer and desparately need to get to my files (for work) early tomorrow morning.  Can someone help!  Is there a number I might call?  Thank you!

Scooter2

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 3:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I'm just trying to work out the timeline of events:

1. New PC bought with Vista Home

2. Retail upgrade bought to Vista Ultimate

3. Difficulty performing the upgrade - not sure which key you entered during the clean install

4. Prompted to activate but fail - so machine stays in grace mode.

5. End of grace period ends (30 days) and you are now in Reduced Functionality Mode

The best course of action is to call the activation helpdesk - the phone numbers are listed by country in the GUI window that is presented when you are asked to activate.

By the definition that you say you are locked out, I presume you are not running SP1 so have fallen into Reduced Functionality Mode. With SP1, Reduced Functionality Mode is removed and replaced with Notification mode so that you can carry on to access your computer but with some notifications and slightly reduced functionality (No Aero, Readyboost etc).

Thanks,
    Richard

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:53 PM

All replies

• i put my product key. but its not accepted & now have been lock out

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:54 PM
  • hvad skal jag gøre for og komme ind på min pc igen

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 10:27 PM
  • have i m using the un registered version of vista ultimate and i need that product key so i beg you plz give me that product key and then i will inform you about that

Friday, April 11, 2008 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm just trying to work out the timeline of events:

1. New PC bought with Vista Home

2. Retail upgrade bought to Vista Ultimate

3. Difficulty performing the upgrade - not sure which key you entered during the clean install

4. Prompted to activate but fail - so machine stays in grace mode.

5. End of grace period ends (30 days) and you are now in Reduced Functionality Mode

The best course of action is to call the activation helpdesk - the phone numbers are listed by country in the GUI window that is presented when you are asked to activate.

By the definition that you say you are locked out, I presume you are not running SP1 so have fallen into Reduced Functionality Mode. With SP1, Reduced Functionality Mode is removed and replaced with Notification mode so that you can carry on to access your computer but with some notifications and slightly reduced functionality (No Aero, Readyboost etc).

Thanks,
    Richard

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:53 PM