DVD drive issues RRS feed

• Question

• Vista with my dvd drive has been acting very oddly, most of the time whenever I put in a dvd and click explore or double click to open the dvd, the My Computer screen simply stops working. There is a progress bar as if it is trying to do something, however reading light on the front of the drive does not flash. It will sit like this forever. The drive is TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA. The only way I can get it to read the disc again is by restarting the computer with the disc already in the drive.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 6:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my research, Samsung hasn’t released the driver of SH-S182D for Windows Vista. Although SH-S182D may be able to work with Windows Vista using drivers for Windows XP, there might be some compatibility issues without drivers designed for Windows Vista. I recommend you to contact Samsung or visit the official website to see if an update is available.

For your convenience, I include the link for you:

Download Center for SH-S182D (Samsung website)

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/download/supportDown.do?group=&type=&subtype=&model_nm=SH-S182D&language=&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=L&prd_ia_cd=&disp_nm=SH-S182D

According to your description, please also check if there is any 3rd party application or service which is automatically started but fails to work when you insert a disk. To check this factor, please perform a clean boot:

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

Hope it helps. If I misunderstood your concern, please let me know. I’m happy to be of further assistance.

Happy New Year!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:24 AM