none
Deployment of OEM media on New PCs NO KEY ON PC RRS feed

• Question

• All,

We have been for many years now successfully deploying Windows XP, Vista, and 7 using the OEM media supplied by Dell and the Key on the label of each PC.  Basically, we accept new PCs from Dell and then use MDT to install to our spec the OS and software needed for deployment.  The OS is always the OS that came native to the PC in question.  With Win 7 we found that placing the product key in the script seems to work for installation but does't seem to work for activation.  By this I mean we usually have to re-enter the key at the time of activation and all goes well.  

Enter MS license changes.  Apparently MS is not providing the Key sticker to OEMs any more and therefore the newest Dell PCs we receive do not have a license key for Windows 7.  Without a key we're dead in the water.  

There has to be away around this problem without having to by additional Volume or Retail copies of the OS.   Anyone have any ideas?  

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:21 PM

Answers

• As an update.  

Through searching the internet I found it is possible to extract the Windows 8 key from the embedded BIOS of the new PC.  I've also found that placing this key in MDT works to re-install the custom OEM OS on the PC.   That side of the problem is solved.  

The open issue is the downgraded Windows 7 install that initially comes on the PC.  The key used and extracted buy tools as suggested in another post here, cannot be used to activate a re-installed Windows 7 OS using the OEM media with in MDT.   I suspect this is a method by which MS is forcing our hands towards Windows 8 which is understandable, however, it doesn't negate the problem that many, if not most of us, still have to re-install OEM Windows 7 on new and old machines.  

Thanks

Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:40 PM

All replies

• If I recall correctly you can (should) contact Microsoft to receive a key that you can use for this. Also, IIRC it's not allowed to deploy machines using the key on the sticker but that can be incorrect/old information. But contact Microsoft for a key is correct :)

Tim Nilimaa | Blog: http://infoworks.tv | Twitter: @timnilimaa

Sunday, June 8, 2014 9:19 PM
  • You can use a program called Majic Jellybean to grab the OEM license. The quickest way I would think.  But calling would probably be the proper way to do things.
    Monday, June 9, 2014 6:38 PM
  • You don't have reimaging rights with OEM license, so basically what you are doing is against Microsoft licensing policy.

Read this document:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/reimaging.aspx

Contact Microsoft and ask for Open License agreement. You get reimaging rights and you can continue to use OEM licenses. After that you have your own single Windows activation key that you can use to activate all your machines.

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rob K Jr Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:07 PM
  • You don't have reimaging rights with OEM license, so basically what you are doing is against Microsoft licensing policy.

Read this document:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/reimaging.aspx

Contact Microsoft and ask for Open License agreement. You get reimaging rights and you can continue to use OEM licenses. After that you have your own single Windows activation key that you can use to activate all your machines.

This is not correct.  Within the very document you sent is the following: 

Using OEM Media to Reimage: You may use OEM media (including custom OEM images) to reimage devices 
    but only those that were originally imaged with such media. 

This is what we want to do and have done for years.  This does not break the license agreements.  

Thanks,

Rob

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

I confirm your answer that:

Reimaging is the copying of software onto multiple devices from one standard image. Organizations wishing to recover their systems using OEM media or OEM custom images may only do so as follows: OEM media may be used to individually recover an image to a device using recovery media provided by the OEM. The OEM recovery media:

1) Should match the product version originally preinstalled on the system.

2) May only be used to image devices that came with it.

3) May not be modified prior to recovering an image to a device.

however, the reimaging rights for OEM licenses for NOT revovery media provided by the OEM, they needs Minimum one volume license for the same Windows Version and Edition to benefice from the Reimaging rights

thanks

diramoh

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rob K Jr Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:01 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:19 AM
  • As an update.  

Through searching the internet I found it is possible to extract the Windows 8 key from the embedded BIOS of the new PC.  I've also found that placing this key in MDT works to re-install the custom OEM OS on the PC.   That side of the problem is solved.  

The open issue is the downgraded Windows 7 install that initially comes on the PC.  The key used and extracted buy tools as suggested in another post here, cannot be used to activate a re-installed Windows 7 OS using the OEM media with in MDT.   I suspect this is a method by which MS is forcing our hands towards Windows 8 which is understandable, however, it doesn't negate the problem that many, if not most of us, still have to re-install OEM Windows 7 on new and old machines.  

Thanks

Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:40 PM
  • The definitive guide:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/Reimaging.pdf

Any questions and/or clarifications should be sent to Microsoft, this is not the correct forum for licensing questions.

Rob - Verify if Magic Jelly Bean (or other powershell script) can programmatically extract the OEM Product Key(s).

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:30 PM
  • The definitive guide:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/D/4/3D42BDC2-6725-4B29-B75A-A5B04179958B/Reimaging.pdf

Any questions and/or clarifications should be sent to Microsoft, this is not the correct forum for licensing questions.

Rob - Verify if Magic Jelly Bean (or other powershell script) can programmatically extract the OEM Product Key(s).

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Keith, 

The key extracted but Jelly Bean and other tools on downgraded Windows 7 PCs without a sticker on the box can not be used to activate the system after re-installation.  It doesn't work unless you use the same method used by the PC manufacture to install and activate the OS.   In other words, you can use the OEM CD to re-install the Windows 7 OS on the PC in question and not need to activate the software because installing directly from the OEM CD uses a self activating method.  Copying that OEM media into MDT does not employ the same self activating method and the key used for self activation can not be used to activate in the normal way.  

Thanks,

Rob

Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:04 PM