Word 2010 - I copied my work from one document to another. Now are all my references gone?! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

was taking some notes in a word 2010 document about a research project I am working on. Yesterday I made a nice template in a new document and now I am copying the text from my notes document to my template document (both word 2010 .docx documents).

My notes document is a 10 page document with a lot of references.

In this merged document, the references are kept as normal text, they are not recognized as a "reference field" which we can update and so on anymore.

Is there any way for me to copy the text without loosing the reference?! At least an easy way to word to recognize the reference in the new document and add it again! It would be very important!

Thanks,

Oscar

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that  you need copy the text without losing the reference. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Please check which style did you use.

Word2010 has follow style in the paste option, Keep Source Formatting, Keep Source Formatting , Keep Text Only and Use Destination Styles

Ø  Keep Source Formatting – this option retains the formatting used on the source document you copied. This means that text will be displayed using the same fonts and other attributes like the line height of text will be retained too. Images are inserted with the same vertical and horizontal spacing.

Ø  Merge Formatting – the pasted elements will adopt the formatting currently in use in the destination Word 2010 document.

Ø  Keep Text Only – using this option will discard certain things that were present in the source, such as images and formatting. Only plain text will be pasted so headings, for example, will lose their size and bolding.

Ø  Use Destination Styles – It will appear when you pasting between documents when style definitions conflict.

How to set Default paste:

1.       Open Word ,then click File > Options

2.       In the Word Options dialog box click Advanced

3.       In the Cut, Copy and Paste tab ,you can change Default paste style

You can refer to this link about Use Paste Options in Office 2010 Programs

http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/f732d1b7-ff45-475a-bb46-205e7cb9cb38

All you have to do is hover the mouse over any one of those three options to see a preview of what your pasted content will look like

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi

Thank you for using Microsoft Office for IT Professionals Forums.

From your description, I understand that  you need copy the text without losing the reference. If there is any misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Please check which style did you use.

Word2010 has follow style in the paste option, Keep Source Formatting, Keep Source Formatting , Keep Text Only and Use Destination Styles

Ø  Keep Source Formatting – this option retains the formatting used on the source document you copied. This means that text will be displayed using the same fonts and other attributes like the line height of text will be retained too. Images are inserted with the same vertical and horizontal spacing.

Ø  Merge Formatting – the pasted elements will adopt the formatting currently in use in the destination Word 2010 document.

Ø  Keep Text Only – using this option will discard certain things that were present in the source, such as images and formatting. Only plain text will be pasted so headings, for example, will lose their size and bolding.

Ø  Use Destination Styles – It will appear when you pasting between documents when style definitions conflict.

How to set Default paste:

1.       Open Word ,then click File > Options

2.       In the Word Options dialog box click Advanced

3.       In the Cut, Copy and Paste tab ,you can change Default paste style

You can refer to this link about Use Paste Options in Office 2010 Programs

http://www.microsoft.com/showcase/en/us/details/f732d1b7-ff45-475a-bb46-205e7cb9cb38

All you have to do is hover the mouse over any one of those three options to see a preview of what your pasted content will look like

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely

William Zhou CHN
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:58 AM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry I  answer so late. Your post just solved it, thanks a lot!

Oscar

Saturday, April 16, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry I  answer so late. Your post just solved it, thanks a lot!

Oscar

Please tell me how did you solved it?

Which option did you used?

Thanks,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem.

When I try to copy text from one document into another, I lose the reference. They are converted to just plain text, and I can't edit nor justify them.

I have tried all of the listed pasting options, but nothing changed.

Please help me, how can I recover that?

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem.

When I try to copy text from one document into another, I lose the reference. They are converted to just plain text, and I can't edit nor justify them.

I have tried all of the listed pasting options, but nothing changed.

Please help me, how can I recover that?

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

First thing to check is the default paste options (as discussed earlier in this thread). Assuming that those have not been set to ignore formatting, one or more add-ins are likely to be the source of trouble. Recently, there was a problem with the Skype Click to Call add-in, which you should be able to update from the Skype web page.

To troubleshoot add-ins in general, use the manual steps for Startup folder and COM add-ins discussed in the Knowledge Base article Troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, 2007, or 2003.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Thank you so much for the reply,

But I haven't the Skype add-in.

Aya Zoghby

Saturday, September 8, 2012 6:59 AM
  • I have tried to past the text that contains references in a new blank document, it it works correctly, the reference are pasted as references.

BUT, when I paste it in another document that have a specified template, it doesn't work.

How can I solve that.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:17 AM
  • I have tried to past the text that contains references in a new blank document, it it works correctly, the reference are pasted as references.

BUT, when I paste it in another document that have a specified template, it doesn't work.

How can I solve that.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Are you saying that the problem occurs only when you are pasting into documents using a particular template? Are there any macros in that template?

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:03 PM

How can I solve that.

Regards,

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Are you saying that the problem occurs only when you are pasting into documents using a particular template? Are there any macros in that template?

Actually, I don't know since I thought that the macros are shared across all the Word Documents, and not specialized over individuals.

Aya.

Aya Zoghby

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:28 PM
  • "ZoghbyAya" wrote in message news:ee1a07bb-44d2-465e-a3d4-3775e8c61ee6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Actually, I don't know since I thought that the macros are shared across all the Word Documents, and not specialized over individuals.

Macros can be in macro-enabled templates or documents. Only macros in Normal.dotm or in a global template will be available to all documents.

What results do you get if you test pasting into a document based on another custom template?

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:36 PM
  • What results do you get if you test pasting into a document based on another custom template?

The same problem appeared when I pasted the text into other document based on another template.

Aya Zoghby

Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:53 PM
  • "ZoghbyAya" wrote in message news:1381b5b4-bddd-413d-849a-4d52d13098b6@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    The same problem appeared when I pasted the text into other document based on another template. 

OK, it seems we’re back at square one... :-(  The problem may be intermittent, which makes troubleshooting difficult.

Did you ever try the manual troubleshooter for Startup and COM add-ins as discussed in the Knowledge Base article Troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2010, 2007, or 2003?

Saturday, September 8, 2012 5:13 PM
  • So sorry for being late,

Yes I have tried it, but nothing changed.

Aya Zoghby

Monday, September 24, 2012 9:49 AM
  • As per your other thread, if the destination document is in the doc format, your citations (not references) get converted to text, because the doc format doesn't support citation fields.

Please use the correct terminology - when you mean citations, don't say 'references', which implies something completely different.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, September 24, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Please use the correct terminology - when you mean citations, don't say 'references', which implies something completely different.

Why you are aggressive in most of your replies , at leas of mine ?

You can say what you like without embarrassing the questioner ,or even you cannot respond.

Anyway, thank you.

Aya Zoghby

Monday, September 24, 2012 12:09 PM
  • I am not being aggressive, just pointing out that you need to use the correct terminology - citations are not references. If you are having problems with citations, it is no good telling people instead you are having problems with references.

Do bear in mind, too, that I have provided you with extensive help in other threads, including where your requirements kept changing and were unclear.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Monday, September 24, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Do bear in mind, too, that I have provided you with extensive help in other threads, including where your requirements kept changing and were unclear.

And I thanked you a lot almost with every respond. Anyway, thanks again. Next times I will try to be more proficient in how to ask.

Aya Zoghby

Monday, September 24, 2012 12:25 PM
  • I faced the same problem and I just use the "Merge" option while I 'Past' into the new doc. The Bibliography is automatically updated.  

Hope it will help others to understand the problem. 

Note: I use Office 2016 and EndNote X7.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:03 AM