mfc100.dll is missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I have some strange behaviour with Visual C++ and the SAP GUI, sometimes when I launch the app I get the mfc100.dll is missing, sometimes it just works fine. And sometimes I need a reboot to fix this problem. I recorded VC++ during the SAP setup so I won't be dependend on the local installed VC++, the keys are set to merge... do I need to set this to override to fix this error? 

I'm always packaging my applications with VC++ included because I had problems before with locally installed VC++ instances... 

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:53 PM

Answers

• The users need to do one reboot after initial installation and after this it works, very strange but not worth the time diving in deeper. 
    • Marked as answer by Jay2k_technet Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:22 PM

All replies

• App-V 4 or 5, and what version?  Do you see the mfc100.dll inside the package files?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Hi there, 

It's APP-V 5.0 SP2 Hotfix 5. The mfc100.dll is inside the package.. in the folder Sytem(x86). The folder is set to merge with the local directory. 

• Proposed as answer by Charmars Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:59 PM
  • The sometimes is interesting... when the program doesn't work can you look at procmon logs, and event viewer?

If the DLL/VC Runtime is locally installed, do you get the error?  I know you want to be independent of a separate run time installer but for diagnostic purposes it would help to understand that.
    You could even try putting the .dll in the same folder as the main exe. 

Also you could try packaging to PVAD or VFS, whichever you aren't now to see if anything changes.  I would start with procmoning, etc.  If the package requires the dll be outside the package, you could also leverage a script to deploy.

Setting the dir to override vs merge wouldn't positively affect the app and might break it in a different way.  If you haven't tried so I would enable COM interaction first as its the simplest troubleshooting step.

Possible nonsense below - in fact a strong possibility:
    So App-V 5 SP2 HF5 is supposed to record when a VC Runtime was installed during sequencing and deploy it to the physical machine.  Some of the particulars of this process (to me at least) aren't well known and I haven't seen much in the way of documentation.  I would expect if the runtime is going to be deployed locally it would be removed from inside the VFS, but maybe I'm not understanding it.

But this rang a bell with me, and I looked at some ppt slides from Tim Mangan's App-V 5 class (SP2 was then in beta) and he had some errors with sequencing an app called ArcGIS, where a MFC dll wasn't being found by the app despite being in the package, and it was not locally deployed (not sure if it should or shouldn't have been by the App-V client).

ALLLLL that said, I saw a few days ago Tim posted a PVAD blog post about apps requiring sequencing to the PVAD and ArcGIS is on there.
    Could be completely unrelated, but I would be very curious to know the result of capturing this to PVAD.  I have had an (in house) package or two where I was required to capture it to PVAD and each had older VC runtime dlls in them. 
    I know that's far from significant, but I would be curious to know if there is any relation.
    This is Tim's post about apps requiring PVAD - http://www.tmurgent.com/TmBlog/?p=2264

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Hi there, 

I always sequence with a PVAD.. I thought the PVAD is gone with App-v 5.0 Sp3 i'm still sequencing with APP-V 5.0 SP2 or am I wrong? Thanks for helping out so far. There are a lot of VCRedists installed locally I guess this one points to the VC Redist 2010 x86 version. I will look at a workstation where it's located if it's there. The strange part is indeed that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'll investigate further and come with an update. 

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:38 PM
  • BTW I'm not sequencing with App-V 5.0 SP2 HF 5.. I install with the core version and I requested the HF4 for the sequencer but the link from Microsoft I got is broken :(... 

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Microsoft%20Application%20Virtualization%205.0/sp2/hf04/5.0.3400.0/free/475025_intl_x64_zip.exe

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:40 PM
  • I've had a look at a client and the MFC100.dll is also locally available in Windows/System32 directory. Exactly the same as in the package... I will look with procmon when the error occures. At the moment I don't get the error at my testing workstation... 
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:53 PM
  • Hello,

You can always grab App-V 5.0 SP3 sequencer and client from MSDN / Volume-license site and then see if this error can be reproduced.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 6:56 PM
  • Thanks Nicke! Is this backwards compatible with the 5.0 sp2 client? Else I also need to upgrade the client.. btw the SAP gui is very hard to package.. need to find some courage to start over again.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:02 PM
  • The users need to do one reboot after initial installation and after this it works, very strange but not worth the time diving in deeper. 
    • Marked as answer by Jay2k_technet Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:22 PM