Reinstall Windows Installer XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC in which the Windows Installer service is malfunctioning. Windows installer and XP Service Pack 3 do not appear in the "Add / Remove Programs" list.

I say malfunctioning, meaning I cannot install any updates and cannot uninstall many programs from "Add / Remove Programs", as the "Change / Remove" button is missing. Additionally, when trying to install Skype, I get an error message related to Windows installer.

I've attempted to upgrade Windows installer to 4.5 unsuccessfully.

I have attempted to remove and reinstall XP SP3 as per this support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249, however the manual uninstall failed.

Is there any other options besides a repair install? Will an "upgrade" installation solve this problem, or do I have to format and reload?

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:04 AM

All replies

• check control panel> administrativetools-services and see if the msinstaller service is running, if not start it then try doing all those things you cldn't do

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:04 AM
  • I checked under Services, and the Windows Installer Service is set to automatic. When I attempt to start it, I receive an error: "The service started, but was then stopped". I assume this is because the Installer didn't have anything to do, and Windows didn't keep it running unnecessarily.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:20 PM