Storage spaces not working as intended? RRS feed

• Question

• I created a storage space with 2 drivers of a total of 2.27TB, but when i created the virtual drive it tells me that the maximum size is ~800GB, why can't i use all of the space???
    Friday, June 28, 2013 6:23 AM

All replies

• Sound to me like you used a 800gb drive and a 1.5tb drive and you selected some type of parity (protection)

For example like Raid 1 is Mirror.  Whatever goes on one drive goes also on the second so you have 2 copies.

If one of your dives is only 800gb it can only "mirror" 800 GB.  You need to select an option with no protection to use all 2tb of storage or perhaps add a third drive and you may get a larger "protected" space.

Keep in mind, the only true protection is backups

Grey

Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:32 PM
  • Im 99,999% sure that i didnt use any mirroring, and as its only 2 disks couldent use raid 5 style..

I retried a few times and got the same error...

now I have installed the normal version and there it works as intended..

• Edited by Petoj87 Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:11 PM fixed error
    Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:09 PM
  • First off we were really talking about Storage Spaces and not True Raid.  And I know that on some raid systems the drives do not have to be the same size.  You could have two 2tb drives and one 3tb drive and get a raid with 4tb usable.  Yes you waste 1tb from one drive, but it will work.

But as a rule in Real Hardware Raid you desire all drives to be the same.  Storage Spaces being software is more forgiving :)

Grey

Saturday, June 29, 2013 7:40 PM
  • Im 99,999% sure that i didnt use any mirroring, and as its only 2 disks couldent use raid 5 style..

I retried a few times and got the same error...

now I have installed the normal version and there it works as intended..

Hi, Petoj87,

I'm interested to know what tool you used before, and after installed the "normal version" (what is the normal version), what tool you used?

What is the size of your two disks?

Thanks,

Yang

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 8:33 AM
  • With normal i mean that i restinalled "Windows Server 2012 Essensials" (not R2)
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that a previous question is ignored.

What's the size of the 2 disks you added to the storage space?

When it only allowed to create a 800GB mirror virtual disk in storage space, whether one of the hard disks in storage space is about 800GB? Or any virutal disk is created before you trying to create the mierror VD?

As Gery said, a mirror virtual disk is somewhere similar to a software raid. We can only create it with the same size of the smaller hard disk in order to keep the mirror.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:02 AM
  • Hi, i did select a Simple volume, and no non of the disks are 800gb, they are 2,73TB, 1,82TB and 465 GB.
    Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

I reviewed the case log and seems be misleaded --- So the 2.27TB storage space is built with 1.82GB + 465GB

disks, and trying to create a simple volume. However it only allowed you to create a 800GB disk as the largest size?

Please check the 800GV virtual disk you created. Right click on it and choose Properties. Go to Health line in left list to see the status. In my test it will allocate all disk spaces on smaller disk and the same size on larger disk - so the total size should be 465GBx2, which seems like a striped disk.

This occurs if we check the checkbox "Creating the largest virtual disk possible up to the specified size", or select Maximum size.

Please try to choose specify size with 2.27TB and do not check the box "creating the largest virutal disk possible" and it will help create a larger virtual disk.

Friday, July 5, 2013 12:57 AM
  • Hi Shaon, as i have installed the non r2 version of the os i can't test any thing any more.

But i did try what you wrote and it indeed got larger, but when trying to write to it, i hit a brick wall after 800gb and it told me there was no more space (even if it had more free space)..

i even tried to create a 800gb and then use extend volume same problem as above it got larger but i couldent write any more than 800gb to it...

Friday, July 5, 2013 6:15 AM