none
Group Policy Services

Question

• I'm running group policy from windows server 2012. Windows server 2012 does not have the service TABLETPCINPUT. as a result, all PCs (all running win7) in the domain are not able to have the tabletpcinput service run. I've changed it to auto and it repeatedly changes itself back to disabled when gpupdate /force, or logon occurs.

How can I work around this?

Ryan Piselli

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:24 PM

Answers

• The issue was that the dc server does not have tabletinputservice, and as such this service cannot be configured for group policies. The result is the service defaults to disabled. The solution was to upgrade the client PC to windows10, which does not require the tabletinputservice to run touch screens.

Ryan Piselli

• Marked as answer by rjpiselli Friday, January 20, 2017 4:42 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 1:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,
    Maybe, you could add this service as the third party service into GPO and then see if it works.
    Here are some articles about it, you could refer to:
    How to Add Third-Party Services to the System Services in Group Policy
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/283904
    Adding third-party or custom built services into a GPO
    https://mattwv.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/adding-third-party-or-custom-built-services-into-a-gpo/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    In addition, you could have a try to start the service via registry, please navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TabletInputService
    and locate Start registry key, double click on Start and edit the value:
    Automatic - 2
    Manual - 3
    Disabled - 4
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 4:50 AM
  • The issue was that the dc server does not have tabletinputservice, and as such this service cannot be configured for group policies. The result is the service defaults to disabled. The solution was to upgrade the client PC to windows10, which does not require the tabletinputservice to run touch screens.

Ryan Piselli

• Marked as answer by rjpiselli Friday, January 20, 2017 4:42 PM
    Friday, January 20, 2017 1:50 PM