none
Merging Excel in a MSProject master file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a master project that's a container for many subprojects.

I exported a table in Excel including the Unique ID.

After editing the Excel file I need to merge it back with the master project, updating all the subprojects rows. I tried using the Unique ID as a Key, but it doesn't work. The rows are simply added to the master project as if the Unique ID did not work as a Primary Key.

How so? And how can I solve this?

Thank you in advance for any solution or suggestion you could possibly give me.

Anna

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:36 AM

Answers

• Goldenpenny,

It doesn't work in that case because you are using a dynamic master. In a dynamic master the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master contains pointers to each subproject. So, when you try to import back to the master, the only place the incoming data can "address" is the master itself.

The export and import for this type of scenario is best accomplished with VBA.

Just curious, why do you need to export to Excel, edit and then import back to Project?

John

• Marked as answer by Goldenpenny Tuesday, December 27, 2016 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:11 PM

All replies

• Frankly, Project and Excel are not designed to work that way.  Mainly, use Project to export into Excel.  Use Excel to import into new Project tasks.  If you want two-way synchronisation, you'll need to write/develop some pretty heavy-duty software.  Perhaps there is a third party solution out there for this, but not known to me.  

Best to use Project user interface to work with Project data.  Keep in simple.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Goldenpenny,

It doesn't work in that case because you are using a dynamic master. In a dynamic master the subprojects are not actually part of the master, rather the master contains pointers to each subproject. So, when you try to import back to the master, the only place the incoming data can "address" is the master itself.

The export and import for this type of scenario is best accomplished with VBA.

Just curious, why do you need to export to Excel, edit and then import back to Project?

John

• Marked as answer by Goldenpenny Tuesday, December 27, 2016 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:11 PM
  • Dear John ,

I have the same problem that GoldenPenny has described above.

I need to export to Excel because I want to export the hours effective to working , in order to send these at the colleagues every weeks. The objective is that the colleagues every friday compile the hours effective to working about the current week.
     After this operation I want to import these dates in order to have the project update;

So I want to create a semi - automatic system( with only two operations manual to do (import and export)) to update the worked hours of the colleague inside the projects.

I suppose the with a master project that's a container for many subprojects this it is not possibile with MS project , do you know other possible solutions ?

I hope all is clear,

thanks for collaboration

Monday, January 9, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Adro12,

It definitely is possible but not with a simple export/import map. As I stated in my original replay it can be done with VBA.

John

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:24 PM