SCE 2010 - how to install MS Office 2007/2010 using Software Packages installation? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm trying to update ms office 2003 on my clients to office 2007 (or 2010) using SCE 2010.

I've found an article http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff404177.aspx with step-by-step how to and made a package according this article, with MSP file named _1.msp in \updates folder.

after approving it on clients PC (2 XP boxes and 1 win7 with office 2003-2010-2007) installation begins at shutdown (GP config).

and I have "don't turn off you computer/1 of 1 update installation in progress" bar for 10-12 hours, after it PCs are powered off, but office was not updated, no one!

and nothing interesting in Application or System eventlogs.

how can I troubleshoot it?

Thanks!

-=C U=-
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 9:57 AM

Answers

• I've found my mistake:

I've used an Enterprise edition of office which has a menu for choosing edition before install.

now I get Professional Edition and problem has gone.

thanks for advice!

-=C U=-
    • Marked as answer by WingDog Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• So you've ran the setup once with the /admin switch to run the office customization tool?  Did you put the created .msp file in the updates folder?

If you have, create a package within sce, when it comes to selecting the installer file, select that the install requires additional folders and files, select the whole folder that contains all the office files/folders underneath it.  It's pretty easy to deploy.  I'm not sure what you mean by installation begins at shutdown, when the computer is shutting down?  If it acts anything like the java package I created, in reality it's waiting for some kind of response of acknowledgment before the install begins, but you can't see it because, well, the computer is shutting down.  real pain in the rear.  Make sure when you use the customization tool that you clearly define all options, products to install, and product key.

What may be easiest for you to do is modify the config.xml file.

I'm just going to paste this as opposed to re-writing it.

To specify silent installation options in Config.xml

1. Open the Config.xml file for the Office product (such as Office Professional Plus 2010) that you are installing by using a text editor tool, such as Notepad.

2. Locate the line that contains the Display element, as shown in the following example:

<!-- <Display Level="full" CompletionNotice="yes" SuppressModal="no" AcceptEula="no" /> -->

3. Modify the Display element entry with the silent options that you want to use. Make sure that you remove the comment delimiters, "<!-- " and "--> ". For example, use the following syntax:

<Display Level="none" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

These options will direct Setup to run silently, prevent prompting users to enter information, and prevent the installation from waiting for any user interaction. For more information about the syntax and Config.xml, see Display element in Config.xml file in Office 2010 .

4. Save the Config.xml file.

Make sure that no Office applications are running when you install Office 2010. For example, to install Office Professional Plus 2010 after you modify the Config.xml file to specify silent installation options, use the following command:

\\server\share\setup.exe /config \\server\share\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

Where:

\\server\share is the path of the Office Professional Plus 2010 source files.

/config is a Setup command-line option that specifies the location of the Config.xml file. See Setup command-line options for Office 2010 .

\\server\share\ProPlus.WW\config.xml is the location of your modified Config.xml file for Office Professional Plus 2010.

Ok, so I changed my name...you can still call me Tom if you like. It's a...jump...to conclusions...mat.
    • Proposed as answer by Tim Magnuson Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:07 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:04 PM
  • I've found my mistake:

I've used an Enterprise edition of office which has a menu for choosing edition before install.

now I get Professional Edition and problem has gone.

thanks for advice!

-=C U=-
    • Marked as answer by WingDog Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:40 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:40 PM