none
MDT2013 Update1 & WSUS on same Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there experts,

I'm currently planing a MDT 2013 Setup for generating my Reference Images. I'm currently using ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1 for generating the Reference Images, but because of different Problems especially with Windows 7 (Insane Long Task-Sequence runtime, Task-Sequence Breaking Updates, etc.) i finally want to switch to MDT 2013 Update 1 for creating my reference Images. The generated WIM Files will then be deployed with ConfigMgr.

My question is about where to place the dedicated WSUS for MDT 2013. As i read, i can't use the existing WSUS that is integrated in ConfigMgr. Does something speak against placing the WSUS, which will only be used by MDT, with a local WID Database on the MDT Server itself?

Thanks in advance.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

Friday, October 23, 2015 12:37 PM

All replies

• I see no issue doing the WSUS server locally.

Logs are very important. If you are unsure how to post logs or where to find them then reference https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Also if you have made customizations please mention them when asking for help.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:56 AM
  • MDT in its most base form is just a file share that hosts some OS images, apps and scripts. Theres no reason (except for performance issues) why it can't be co-hosted with WSUS or pretty much any other server role you could think of.

Go for it.

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:38 AM