none
1903 - 'pintostartscreen' gone. How to programatically pin things to Start?

Question

• In our post-install scripting we have stuff like this:

powershell -Command "(New-Object -ComObject shell.application).Namespace('C:\Windows\').parsename('regedit.exe').invokeverb('pintostartscreen')"

(This example just pins regedit to the Start tiles)

In 1903 they've deprecated/broken the 'pintostartscreen' verb.   It no longer pins stuff this way.  Is there any other scriptable way to do this? We have some apps that are not for every user, and we want to pin specific tiles to Start after installing them.  Some of these apps are suites with many products in them and we want to pin 1-2 things, for example.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:21 PM

All replies

• Kindly go through the following article to fix the issue:

[Fix] Pin to Start Option Missing in Windows 10

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks, but this is not relevant to my issue.  The link is for when the option is missing on the context menu.  I still see it there and it still works there as intended.  I am specifically looking for a scripted way to do it.  Powershell has a native way to do it, as I showed, but that no longer works in 1903.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

You could contact script forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

This is the script forum link.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-us/home

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 5:48 PM
  • Hi, 
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 
    Best Regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

No, I don't have any answer.  I am on the latest 1903 update (.116) and it still does it.  I haven't seen any specific mention from Microsoft on if this is intentional or what.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

Please install the latest May 29, 2019—KB4497935 to check if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Sunday, June 9, 2019 6:31 PM