How does UAG work with RDS RemoteApp? RRS feed

• Question

• I have just started to read about Forefront UAG, but I haven't so far been able to ascertain whether or not it will meet my needs.

I have an RDS (2008 R2) service in place for remote access to (remoteapp) applications. I would like to extend access such that staff can access their applications from any internet connected web browser (Windows/Mac/Linux) anywhere in the world. Users might potentially want to access their applications from an internet cafe anywhere in the world, where presumably it would not be possible to install any sort of UAG  "client" locally (due to security lockdown). If there was some way of making RDS Remoteapp applications appear in a browser window, with no client required other than downloadable browser plug-ins or Java applets,  this would be ideal. However, the online documentation for UAG mentions that the remote client must have the remote desktop client installed. I assume that some internet cafe owners would block access to MSTSC.EXE.

1. Is what I want to accomplish (access to applications from any web browser anywhere) actually  possible using UAG, and if so what components would be required?  

2. How does the RDS remoteap application appear to the user, i.e does it run in a web browser window, or seperately in an RDS client session window?

As you no doubt gathered from my questions I have never actually seen this product. I don't want to waste time evaluating it if it can't do what I want.

Any advice, or pointers to more clear documentation, would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Monday, August 15, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

1.) Using RDS RemoteApp feature requires an RDS ActiveX component and RDC 7.0 (in case of using Win XP) installed. I have almost no experience with running RDS RemoteApp on Linux/Mac, but i guess it wouldn't be possible since its to integrated into the Windows Shell.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd857385.aspx

2.) RDS RemoteApp is a window/frame-less remote session of a single application with full desktop integration. The appearance is very much like "installed locally".

-Kai

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

1.) Using RDS RemoteApp feature requires an RDS ActiveX component and RDC 7.0 (in case of using Win XP) installed. I have almost no experience with running RDS RemoteApp on Linux/Mac, but i guess it wouldn't be possible since its to integrated into the Windows Shell.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd857385.aspx

2.) RDS RemoteApp is a window/frame-less remote session of a single application with full desktop integration. The appearance is very much like "installed locally".

-Kai

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Thanks Kai. From what you've said it sounds like the combination of Forefront UAG and RDS RemoteApp is really only suitable for accessing applications from remote clients which run Windows and RDS 7.0.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hi Mark,

As Kai has mentioned, RemoteApp, or Remote Desktop in general requires requires the RDS Active X component, so there are limitations with browsers as well. You also require local administrator rights to install components on the client.

System Requirements for Forefront UAG client devices

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Hi Mark & Chris,

yes, RDS RemoteApp has its special requirements and will most likely require a Windows client system with preinstalled ActiveX.

But keep in mind you can also "Port Forward" an entire RDP Desktop session (non-RemoteApp) to your clients by using the UAG ActiveX or Java applet. On this way you are not required  to have RDC 7.0 and RDS ActiveX preinstalled. It would support any RDP rich client you like... 

-Kai

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:11 AM