none
How to ignore a volume during a Hyper-V Child Partition Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I modified a VM hosting a SQL Server to add a volume to store SQL Backup files locally. This volume (F:\) is a new VHD.

I don't need to backup this volume (and I can't because it is a bit to large and the snapshot can't be generated and I keep getting incoherent replica error).

So my question is : Is there a way to tell either DPM or Hyper-V to ignore the VHD or the F:\ Volume on this VM when doing a Child Partition Backup?

Best regard

Christophe

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:32 AM

Answers

• As part of host-based protection the Hyper-V writer will always include all of the files (configuration XML and VHDs) which the VM is comprised of and so there's not a way to exclude a particular volume and its backing VHD. The option you would have to use here would be direct protection of the SQL VM itself via installing the DPM agent directly to the machine then protecting it and its applications.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:42 PM

All replies

• As part of host-based protection the Hyper-V writer will always include all of the files (configuration XML and VHDs) which the VM is comprised of and so there's not a way to exclude a particular volume and its backing VHD. The option you would have to use here would be direct protection of the SQL VM itself via installing the DPM agent directly to the machine then protecting it and its applications.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:42 PM
  • Hi Tyler,

And thanks for your answer.

That's what I feared, and I agree with you on this point : it would be better to use DPM for SQL directly... unfortunately, I'm working in an environment I didn't set up, and I'm trying to keep it running before changing anything!

I plan on doing a full rehauling of the DPM infrastructure (right DPM is inside a Hyper-V VM, the VM is directly plugged on a netgear NAS using iSCSI, the whole thing running on LAN choking as soon as 2 jobs run at the same time..., I need a axe or a good flamethrower and I need to rethink the whole thing...)

thanks again for your input

Best regards,

Christophe

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 2:51 PM