none
Exchange Storage Group and File server in the same job RRS feed

• Question

• When I add the Exchange Storage Group into the Protection Group, the others Selected Member (Ex: File server) disappear from the scheduling queue.

The same thing happens to the contrary

When I add the Files from File Server into the Protection Group, the Exchange Storage Group disappear from the scheduling queue.

What might be happening?

I'm using SCDPM 2007 with Windows Server 2008 (32bit)
    Exchange Server 2007 with Windows Server 2003 (64bit)
    File server with Windows Server 2008 (32bit) 

Screenshot 1: http://img855.imageshack.us/i/semttulofg.jpg/

Screenshot 2: http://img17.imageshack.us/i/semttulo2op.jpg/

Bruno Kinoshita www.brunokinoshita.k6.com.br
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    Anyone have any ideas?

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:46 AM
  • Can you create a PG only for Exchange , so you will have 2 PG
    Friday, March 25, 2011 1:40 PM
  • both protection groups can write to the same tape?
    Friday, March 25, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi Bruno,

The problem is most likey caused by a limitation of the tape scheduling code.  If you are doing D-T backups for two servers in the same time zone, but one has daylight savings time enabled and the other not, then these two servers cannot co-exist in the same PG.  The scheduling code cannot handle that rare condition.   The time zone and daylight savings settings are recorded at the time of agent installation and never change after that.  To fix the problem check the protected servers time zone and daylight savings settings and make sure thay match, then remove the data sources from protection, remove the agents from the DPM console and re-install the agents.  DPM should pick up the new timezone and daylight savings settings and then the problem should go away.

If that is too much hastle, then yes, enable tape co-location and set both PG up to have the exact same recovery goals and retention ranges and DPM will write both PG's to the same tape. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Hello Mike, thanks for the information, but I checked it now and both servers are with daylight savings time enabled and probably always have been.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Regards,

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:01 AM
  • Maybe, I could create two Protection Groups and enabled the Co-location.

This could cause something different in my backup jobs?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 11:23 AM
  • To view all the servers names and timelight time settings, run the following SQL Query to see if that is the problem. Look for servers in the same PG with the same timezone, but different daylightname and daylightBias settings.

Select svr.ServerName, svr.serverid, tz.Description, tz.DaylightName, tz.DaylightBias from tbl_AM_ServerTimeZone tz join dbo.tbl_AM_Server svr on tz.ServerId = svr.ServerId

Yes, the workaround would be to use two different PG's if you find that they are indeed different.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:22 PM