BSOD(Stop:0c000021a) occur when system boot to vista scroll bar. RRS feed

• Question

•  

My notebook meet a BOSD when Vista start-up.

The issue can be duplicated like this:

1. set the power button action to "shutdown"

2. restart OS, press the power button when vista boot to the green scroll bar .

3. a moment later, system occur BSOD says that"Stop: 0c000021a{fatal system error} The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000(0xc00000001 0x001003e8). The system has been shut down".

Why the OS not perform shutdown action but show blue screen?

If I set the power button action to "sleep"or "hibernate", it will perform the action ocrrectly.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:12 AM

Answers

• Nancyhan

From your description, you are doing something that is definitely NOT recommended. You should NEVER use the power button to turn the system off, unless there is a problem with the system or an emergency and there is no other way to shutdown.

You pressed the power button when Vista was in the process of starting up. That BSOD and error message was the result of doing this. This could cause corruption in the operating system.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:23 PM

All replies

• Nancyhan

From your description, you are doing something that is definitely NOT recommended. You should NEVER use the power button to turn the system off, unless there is a problem with the system or an emergency and there is no other way to shutdown.

You pressed the power button when Vista was in the process of starting up. That BSOD and error message was the result of doing this. This could cause corruption in the operating system.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Funny, I am constantly getting the same BSOD.

This is a brand new computer with Vista SP1 installed on it... nothing much else.

Seems like I am unable to boot up Vista, I am constanly BSODing on the Vista boot animation loading bar.

PC specs:

NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GTX

Intel Pentium Core 2 DUO 3.0 GHz

4 GB of RAM

Motherboard P5K

I have the minidumps but I am unable to attach them to this post.

I have searched on the internet and it looks like there are a number of people with the same problem, but no solutions out there have been posted.

Things I have tried:

Windows update (Fully updated)

NVIDIA graphics drivers (Downloaded the latest)

Re installed Windows Vista SP1 (I have the disk with SP1 included on it)

Any information or things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:25 AM
  • Hi Rich

Unfortunately, we are set up here to be able to upload and debug the minidump files. I suggest you use the free support for Vista Service Pack 1 that is being offered by Microsoft. They will be able to upload and debug those files. Here is the link.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 No-Charge Unlimited Support:
    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&x=8&y=7&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:24 PM
  •  

Funny actually, looks like I found the root of the problem last night.

Like I said before, Vista would continually BSOD during the loading animation, so I starting taking hardware out piece by piece, lol.

When I removed the dial up modem (I know, lol) I was able to boot up Vista no problem.  I have managed to restart the PC at least 8 times now with no BSOD <fingers crossed>.  So now I need to find out a suitable modem to replace the one I have as unfortunately I live in a remote place that does not have high speed.  (crazy huh?)

Thanks for your help and guidance, I might even hit up that support link that you posted.

Rich

Thursday, July 3, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Hi Rich

Glad this helped.

Before you actually replace the modem, I would check with the manufacturer of that device for updated drivers or firmware.

Let us know how this works out.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, July 4, 2008 1:38 PM
  •  

Ronnie,

Yes I will check the site thanks.  I have already sent AOpen (The Modem brand) an email to see if they have any advice, so far I have received no correspondence from them.

When I googled the modem (FM56-PX) a number of sites are found, but no Vista drivers.  Vista Modem drivers are quite rare I have heard, lol.

Thanks for your help and I when I hook up the other computer to try the new drivers I will let you know how I get on.

Rich

Friday, July 4, 2008 2:01 PM
  • Rich

Thanks for update and hope you are able to find a decent modem for that system.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Saturday, July 5, 2008 8:50 PM