SBS 2011 CPU running at 100% RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have seen other posts about this issue.  We do have the problem with SBS 2011 CPU used at 100%

in the task manager.  There is no obvious process or application that we can find that is causing this problem.

I stopped the sbs montoring service, and the Symantec endpoint protection service, and this gave us from 20% to 30% usage.  We did delete the WSUS content (following a post on the internet) to free up disk space on the C drive.

The WSUS clean-up wizard did nothing but lock up the server! 

Would deleting the WSUS content cause the server to peg the CPU at 100%?

Any suggestions will help.  Also, this is a virtual machine running on HyperV server 2012 R2.

Thanks

eholz1

Network and Server Installs

• Edited by ewh_GO Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:07 AM line over run
    Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi:

Please post the link you followed for deleting WSUS content.

The clean up wizard should work but if it was not run regularly from the beginning it will take several/many attempts.  Not sure what it would do if you first deleted all content.

The SBS wizards allow you to move user data AND WSUS databases to alternate partitions so your system partition will not fill up, so if the system had been managed and maintained from the beginning you should not be seeing WSUS take over your free space.

When you say you stopped services and the CPU usage declined you may have found your suspect.  You can also use msconfig to stop all third party processes and view the result in Task Manager - Performance - Resource Monitor.  In all cases clicking on the CPU column header will bring the most used to the top of the column.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that SBS 2011(virtual machine running on Hyper-V server 2012 R2) CPU is running at 100%.

Is there any update about this problem?

Check/install available Windows Update, it might be helpful for improving system performance. Use Resource Monitor to check the details about CPU usage.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi:

Please post the link you followed for deleting WSUS content.

The clean up wizard should work but if it was not run regularly from the beginning it will take several/many attempts.  Not sure what it would do if you first deleted all content.

The SBS wizards allow you to move user data AND WSUS databases to alternate partitions so your system partition will not fill up, so if the system had been managed and maintained from the beginning you should not be seeing WSUS take over your free space.

When you say you stopped services and the CPU usage declined you may have found your suspect.  You can also use msconfig to stop all third party processes and view the result in Task Manager - Performance - Resource Monitor.  In all cases clicking on the CPU column header will bring the most used to the top of the column.

Larry Struckmeyer [MVP]-- --If your question is answered please mark the response as the answer so that others can benefit.

Saturday, November 14, 2015 12:29 PM
  • Hello Larry,

Thank you very much for the reply, here is the link I used for the manual delete process:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/gborger/archive/2009/02/27/what-to-do-when-your-wsuscontent-folder-grows-too-large.aspx

The system ran fine for two days, and then exhibited this issue.  I will take a look at the msconfig per

your suggestion.  I tried to run the move wizard from the sbs console, and it say there is not enough

disk space to move the content - the content is about 30GB, and we have 73gb free on a partition, so

it should be able to move, but for some reason it will not use the space.  I will go back and try to determine the exact size of the WSUS content - we restored the server and it restored the WSUS content folders, etc

thanks for the help,  I attempted the manual remove because the clean up wizard would not run, etc.

Eric, Group oliver

Network and Server Installs

Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that SBS 2011(virtual machine running on Hyper-V server 2012 R2) CPU is running at 100%.

Is there any update about this problem?

Check/install available Windows Update, it might be helpful for improving system performance. Use Resource Monitor to check the details about CPU usage.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 3:36 AM