none
Should there be a Draft feature in TNWiki? RRS feed

• General discussion

• In the last question of this interview here (http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/archive/2012/08/05/monday-interview-with.aspx),

Riwut brings up an excellent topic. The theory in the world of Wiki is that everything is a work in progress and that it's okay to have articles with only one sentence in them (or stub articles with no real content). The idea is that anyone can help fill it out.

Do other wikis have a draft feature like that? Is it too uncomfortable to start by creating a stub or work in progress? I've done both many times in the past, and it seems people are okay with it as long as I'm clear what it is. Plus if my stubs or articles that aren't filled out end up getting a lot of views, then I know where to shift my attention. It's happened a few times where stubs broke view milestones (likely from search results) and so I went in and filled them out. Other times the community filled out the stubs for me.

Any other thoughts on this topic?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:06 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Was in MVP roundtables in China recently and the draft feature request came up often. People want to be able to create a draft like in a blog, then lock it for continual editing until it is ready to be live.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 5:12 AM
  • This was also a popular feature request by Microsoft technical writers. They are used to being able to see it and review it before they publish it.

Ultimately I think they want to edit it offline all the time (like using Live Writer). But ultimately, it would be too difficult to build such a tool. Even using Live Writer wouldn't work (we'd have to rebuild it, and it would cost more than the value add). Anyway, that's almost a separate topic (offline authoring).

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:43 AM
    Owner
  • Question... let's say this feature existed. Who would be able to review the draft? The blog system is pretty cool, because anyone on the blog can review a draft.

For a Wiki draft feature, would only the author be able to review it? I could see the value of adding authors, but for the simplicity of shipping the feature, I'd probably recommend that only the author can review (and team reviews could be a later feature request if the feature proved valuable and well used).

Monday, August 6, 2012 5:45 AM
    Owner
  • Question... let's say this feature existed. Who would be able to review the draft? The blog system is pretty cool, because anyone on the blog can review a draft.

For a Wiki draft feature, would only the author be able to review it? I could see the value of adding authors, but for the simplicity of shipping the feature, I'd probably recommend that only the author can review (and team reviews could be a later feature request if the feature proved valuable and well used).

In MVP roundtable, when this feature was requested, the suggestion was that only the original author would be able to review, edit and unlock.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 6:54 AM
  • I must admit this is why I have sat on an article for a couple of weeks now, because I wanted to at least present enough of it for people understood the "tone" of the article and prevent contributers from spining off on different tangents that I didn't want the article to go.

Having read this I decided to just "publish and be damned", as the saying goes :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12898.moving-from-winforms-to-wpf.aspx

I can understand the issue here. Technet has a reward system based on "page views divided by page contribution percentage". This is how you try to encourage submissions, so that is where the emphasis comes from the contributers. Someone has a great idea for an article, they want to get the majority of the article written, before someone else takes over and writes exactly what they were going to write themselves.

It's like people giving you their opinion, before you've finished making it look good. I think this is just human nature and is the same in every aspect of life, not just wikis.

IMO, Ideal would be a work in progress lock, but allow a comments/ideas section for browsers to contribute.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:02 PM
  • I've seen people put a sentence in their article like "please refrain from editing, not finished publishing yet." (wording was similar, dont have it on top of my head) until they had that "first" version live. This would seem to work for me as a non technical enforced "draft" function.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 12:51 PM
  • I must admit this is why I have sat on an article for a couple of weeks now, because I wanted to at least present enough of it for people understood the "tone" of the article and prevent contributers from spining off on different tangents that I didn't want the article to go.

Having read this I decided to just "publish and be damned", as the saying goes :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12898.moving-from-winforms-to-wpf.aspx

I can understand the issue here. Technet has a reward system based on "page views divided by page contribution percentage". This is how you try to encourage submissions, so that is where the emphasis comes from the contributers. Someone has a great idea for an article, they want to get the majority of the article written, before someone else takes over and writes exactly what they were going to write themselves.

It's like people giving you their opinion, before you've finished making it look good. I think this is just human nature and is the same in every aspect of life, not just wikis.

IMO, Ideal would be a work in progress lock, but allow a comments/ideas section for browsers to contribute.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL

I'm pretty sure editing does not steal any recognition points. On the contrary, if you post it first, you'll always get the most points (unless someone makes a lot of edits on it).

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:04 AM
    Owner
  • I've seen people put a sentence in their article like "please refrain from editing, not finished publishing yet." (wording was similar, dont have it on top of my head) until they had that "first" version live. This would seem to work for me as a non technical enforced "draft" function.

In fact, I saw Pete/XAML Guy do that today. But if it isn't taken down over the weekend, I reserve the right to edit the article anyway! Mwahahaha! =^)

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:05 AM
    Owner
  • I think I saw a forum thread or an article saying something about an article being in draft status so I tried to find how to use draft status and got this. I can't find much else on the subject.

I want to add that it would help for many of the things said here to be in one of the introduction, overview or getting started articles. The considerations of whether to say something is a draft and whether to say it is not a draft would help.

I think everything else has been said already except perhaps it should be discussed whether to say that something should not (either officially or unofficially) be in draft status very long.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 11:00 PM
  • When I first publish a new Wiki, when I still have work to do on it, I add the tag "Work in Progress". I remove the tag when I am finished. Often several edits are required.

I also insert the "Work in Progress" message template I copy from this Wiki:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/250.wiki-message-templates.aspx

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Thursday, October 5, 2017 12:52 AM