Sync Outlook(Contacts,...) with Vista (Contacts,...) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to synchronize my Outlook 2007 Contacts and Dates with the Vista Contacts and Dates Folder?
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:52 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Lockhead,

The solution I have is not ideal as it is not automatic, but it should acheive what you're after.

First - export your contacts from Outlook to a file.

In Outlook go to File --> Import and Export... Select "Export to a file" and hit next. Choose the format as "Comma seperated values (DOS). In the next screen, select "Contacts" (or Calander to export your dates etc.). Save it in a location you'll remember, or into a back-up folder if you want to keep it for the future.

Next, we just import this into Vista Contacts.

Open up the Windows Contacts folder in User Files --> Contacts.

Under the address bar at the top of the screen, you will notice a tool bar for creating new contacts etc. On this tool bar, hit Import. Choose Comma sperated values, browse to the file you just created, and hit Next. Select all the fields you want to import and then click finish. Once the import is complete, close the import screen, and you should see all your Outlook contacts in the Windows contact list.

Hope that helps. I am on the search for an automatic solution, so i will post here if i find it.

Cheers,

Deanun

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:00 PM
  • Hi again,

It looks like there is good reason that there is no automatic process for syncing the 2 contacts list. Apparently there would be legal issues arising from it because windows and office could be seen as unfairly gaining competative advantage by tightly integrating like that due to position in the marketplace blah blah blah.

Basically - it's an anti-trust thing.

There might be 3rd party apps available that do the job, and it probably wouldn't be too hard to whip up a little app that did the import / export for you using the Windows API, which could be scheduled or run at start-up.

It might be worth asking on the MSDN forums if you're really keen to automate to process, maybe a developer will be feeling charitable Smile

Cheers,

Denaun

Monday, November 26, 2007 2:18 PM