none
Local folders vs network share in active-active configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

there are local folders on both nodes, non-clustered hosts. As a note, there is a lot of FTP traffic, mostly pushing.

Migrating to 2016, there is a proposal to use a network share instead. Please share benefits vs potential drawbacks/gotchas.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:22 PM

Answers

• sorry missed out your earlier post,

working with both the local as well as the network dirves is supported by the BizTalk file adapter. I have worked on something similar, the external clients SFTP the files to a folder on the a server with proper access to external systems and then BizTalk picks up the file from the network share. I have not faced any issues till date. That being said, you can always move the file from the FTP server to local BizTalk server folders and process them.

Now as for having the File Adapter in an active active configuration with a network share configuration, it is officially supported by BizTalk in active active configuration. SFTP and FTP adapters need their host to be clustered.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:57 PM

All replies

• What protocol are you talking about? an FTP siote or do you want the network share accessible with File adapter?

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, January 24, 2019 10:26 PM
  • As of now, FTP traffic is being pushed straight to servers.

A proposal is to FTP it to a network share (probably, traffic from other adapters would go there too) and then pick files with File adapter.

Thursday, January 24, 2019 11:27 PM
  • Hmm... no opinions?

Let me try a little different question then. One developer told me that all companies are using network shares for files receive/send, not local drives on BizTalk servers. I was surprised with such unequivocal statement as I've had a different experience. However, might be I was so unlucky, or network shares (I'm speculating here) were not so widespread, say, 10-15 years ago.

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:49 PM
  • sorry missed out your earlier post,

working with both the local as well as the network dirves is supported by the BizTalk file adapter. I have worked on something similar, the external clients SFTP the files to a folder on the a server with proper access to external systems and then BizTalk picks up the file from the network share. I have not faced any issues till date. That being said, you can always move the file from the FTP server to local BizTalk server folders and process them.

Now as for having the File Adapter in an active active configuration with a network share configuration, it is officially supported by BizTalk in active active configuration. SFTP and FTP adapters need their host to be clustered.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:57 PM
  • Considering a lot of views, I guess, I should conclude that there is no significant benefit for network share(s) over local folders?  Mandar, thank you for you input, voting it up.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:02 PM