Word 2003 opening network share templates very slowly RRS feed

• Question

• Word 2003 opening network share templates very slowly.  I've tried the whole renaming, resaving, deleting so that it recreates normal.dot and that doesn't work.  I've checked permissions on the template and they are fine.  I've reinstalled Word and that didn't work. This happens with multiple templates on the network share, not just one.  The user can open Word docs from her pc and they open normally without any hesitation.  I may mention these templates have barcodes in them used for when we receive the documentation back from the customer.  And when she attempts to open them...the barcodes seem to be the last "thing" to populate the document.  If that makes any sense.

Any suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks in advance for your help.

***Let me add that these are in-house templates, built to pull data from our in-house software when called upon.  If that makes sense.

• Changed type Max Meng Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:44 AM
    • Changed type Max Meng Friday, July 22, 2011 1:16 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 12:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Stephanie,

It sounds like there is a 3rd party service or application installed on the users machine that is causing the delay.  It's just a matter of trying to narrow down which one it is.  I would use MSCONFIG to try and isolate which application is causing the delay.

Thanks,

Aaron

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to change another location to save the templates?

Have you tried to move this templates to the local path, and run Word to see if it will be slow? 

Have you tried to create a new tempates, without any settings or macros in it, and run Word again?

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:59 AM
  • No other user on the network has this issue so moving them would only benefit this one person.  Not to mention...I can't move them.  I'm low on the IT totem pole and don't have the permissions to do so.

Locally she can open them fine.

No, I haven't tried creating a new template.  Will do that to test.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

Have you install any add-ins for the user?

Try to disable the add-ins for the user, and try again.

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, July 15, 2011 5:37 AM
  • We are changing the issue type to "Comment" because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to "Question" by editing your initial post and changing the radio button at the top of the post editor window. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I tried disabling add-ins and that didn't work either.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Is the Office File Validation Add-In installed? What happens when you uninstall it?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

I'm asking because of the known issue "Opening files from a network share that have many charts or points of data will take longer to open in Office 2003."

Try to disable the virus scanner just to see if it causes the issue.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:07 PM
  • No, it is not installed.  Virus scan isn't the cause either.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hello NCsaltH2o,

How is the user opeing the templates? Is the user double-clicking the template or doing a File | Open from Word?

Does the issue happen if the user opens a .doc in the same location?

Does the issue happen with other Office applications?

How long does it take for the templates to open up?

Thanks,

Aaron

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

The template is opened via a hyperlink in our in-house program (we are a public sector organization).  The template, as it sits on our server, is blank and the fields are populated with data whenever the link is clicked.  Once the hyperlink is clicked a dialogue box opens asking "Do you want to open or save this file?"  Of course we click Open.  At that point it can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes for the document to open.

So to test your question about opening a .doc from the same location...I made a simple Word .doc and I also made a copy of one of the templates in question (but only AFTER it had been successfully opened on MY computer) to the server location where the templates are stored.  Both open fine.  I noticed a java script runs in our in-house system when the hyperlink is clicked.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

This doesn't happen with other Office apps.  Only Word and only with the templates stored on the server.  Word works fine if it's a saved document on her pc or the server.  No other user is having this issue.

I've uninstalled Office/reinstalled it.  PC has current Windows updates.  Java is up to date.

Thanks,
    Stephanie

Monday, July 25, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Hello Stephanie,

The issue only happens from your in-house application?

What happens if you boot up Windows in Safe mode with networking and test?

Thanks,

Aaron

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Aaron,

Correct.  If she opens a Word document on her pc...it opens fine.  If she finally gets one of the templates opened and saves it to her pc...it then opens fine as well.  So it's something across the network but I can't deteremine what exactly.  And as I said before, no one else on the network is having the same issue.  I did a gupdate/force but that didn't change anything.

To answer your question...if I boot her pc in safe mode with networking...the template opens fine.

Thanks for your continued help.

Stephanie

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Hello Stephanie,

It sounds like there is a 3rd party service or application installed on the users machine that is causing the delay.  It's just a matter of trying to narrow down which one it is.  I would use MSCONFIG to try and isolate which application is causing the delay.

Thanks,

Aaron

Monday, August 1, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Thanks Aaron,  I'll give it a try.  Sorry I've been out of communication...I was on vacation last week.  Thanks again...and I'll post results when I can.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:33 PM