Vista 64 with SP1 killed IDE Driver and SATA driver RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

After installing SP1 on my Vista Home Premium 64 bit my IDE DVD Rom can not be found in explorer and can not run any self starting DVD's or CD's, also my WD 2500JS hard drive SATA2 with 8MB 7200 RPM is now called WDC WD2500JS-00MHb0 ATA Device and it asks for drivers. Needless to state Western Digital does not want to know and the same with Samsung as it was OK when it left them.

Both items worked OK in Vista 32 and also in Vista 64 in virgin form. BUT with SP1 my secondary HD (WD2500JS) and my DVD ROM don't any longer work.

IN BOTH CASES THEY WERE ADDED AFTER I INSTALLED SP1 !

Anyone care; or knows the work arounds? Other than that, do not upgrade or add anything after SP1.

jannerhank

Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if you can find this IDE DVD-ROM in BIOS device. Also, please try to re-plug in and out the IDE DVD-ROM device. If you can not find it in BIOS, try to re-install BIOS drive. Else if, please try to reinstall drive of BIOS, MotherBoard, and DVD ROM to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Jannerhank,

Please use following points outlined:

Step 1: If you have installed any CD-burning software, please temporarily remove them from "Control Panel"-> "Add/Remove Programs".

Step 2: Modify the Registry:

1. Click "Start"->"Run", type in "regedit" (without quotation marks) and click "OK".

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight this key, on the right pane, and then check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

3. Right click your CDROM Drive, and click "Uninstall".

More information, please refer to following KB article, which is also appliable for Windows Vista.

314060 You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

Hope this helps.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Hi Jie-Feng Ren,

Thank you for your advice. I followed it up to the end of step 2. My DVD ROM is not showing at all (not in Explorer or Control Panel/Device Manager).

My DVD W/R is that is a SATA device and is OK but the DVD ROM is a IDE device (its the only IDE device in the PC and no longer shows). Everything worked OK until I installed Vista 64 SP1. Any more ideas?

Regards

Jannerhank

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if you can find this IDE DVD-ROM in BIOS device. Also, please try to re-plug in and out the IDE DVD-ROM device. If you can not find it in BIOS, try to re-install BIOS drive. Else if, please try to reinstall drive of BIOS, MotherBoard, and DVD ROM to see if it works.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Yeah, I am still working on it, and have downloaded a new BIOS onto a floppy disc. However, I have a phobia about changing BIOS's having wiped out a few M/B's trying to do it a few years ago. 

I will keep you posted.

jannerhank

Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:23 AM
  • What MB do you have?

Alot of today's board manufacturers include a BIOS recovery method, for those times a BIOS flash goes horribly awry.

I'm willing to bet your PC will run much smoother after you update your BIOS.  For some unknown reason, alot of MB manufacturers are shipping x64 boards that are supposed to be designed to handle Vista x64, but have horribly outdated BIOS that can't.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Asus P5K Premium WIFI-AP. I tried the Asus Update ulility and over the last 3 weeks at different times from 0800 to 2200 UK time and always get an answer, That the server is overloaded at the present time please try again later.

Jannerhank

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:05 PM
  •  Jie-Feng Ren - MSFT wrote:

Hi Jannerhank,

Step 2: Modify the Registry:

Step 3: Remove the CDROM driver:

Hope this helps.

Hi
    I had the same issue with the same board.
    That resolve my problem.
    Thx

Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:51 PM
  • Done it, removed the CDROM rebooted then turned off PC then connected CDROM switched on and its now working again.

Many thanks.

Jannerhank

Sunday, May 11, 2008 5:44 PM